taking amps on tour to UK/Europe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paidtheprice, May 23, 2012.

  1. paidtheprice


    May 24, 2010
    Hi my small time punk band is going to europe this summer and i am considering taking amps with us since they are small and light:

    a couple sunn beta leads, a beta bass, maybe my gk800rb... since they are light, loud and can fit in luggage, and then buying / renting a step up/down transformer to run them properly on the power situations over there.

    anyone have any experience with this?

    i would prefer to bring my own amps but am not opposed to renting, just curious how to do this properly (i've heard of people having disastrous results if done wrong)
  2. paidtheprice


    May 24, 2010
  3. Most venues over here INSIST you plug straight into a Behringer D.I. box so you can't get the sound you WANT to the mains, just clickety-clickety-clack which you have no control over whatsoever...you HAVE got the sound coming from the amp as a stage monitor, but no matter how good it is it WON'T be what the AUDIENCE hears...so if you DO bring an amp, make SURE it's got a pre/post option on the DI! (I posted somewhere about doing a gig with what I was assured was pretty much "one of the best soundguys around here" and the bass was DI'ed STRAIGHT into a Zoom ACOUSTIC/amp simulator and sounded poopiee through the desk...)
  4. paidtheprice


    May 24, 2010
    interesting. keep in mind most of these shows are gonna be in DIY spots or Squats or something so the typical "venue" stuff may not apply. i am not booking the tour, so i will probably start asking specific questions to the promoter(s) soon, was also wondering what people here might think?

    thanks for the input either way.
  5. icks


    Jul 12, 2001
  6. nitromullet


    Mar 29, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    It looks like the 800RB is capable of running at either 110V or 220V with a change of the fuse and power cable.

    from http://gallien.com/productmanuals/800RB Owner's Manual 160-0004-0.pdf

  7. JimmyM


    Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Dang, I don't know if I'd do it. I get the idea that you want to play through your own gear, but that's a lot of work and you're tied to a step down transformer the whole time. I'd see about renting if your budget allows. The Sunns would be hard to get but a GK rig shouldn't be hard to find.
  8. If it doesn't have a switch for 110v/24 it's not so easy. It's not a switchmode power supply. Then there's the guitar amp.

    There are plenty of bass amps that switch between. Genz Benz and vintage Trace Elliot for starters. If the guitar amp can be found too, it's cheaper than renting and easier than toting a transformer.
  9. paidtheprice


    May 24, 2010
    yeah if only i could bring my marshall jcm800 combo, i know that has a switch for UK voltage. i'm trying to bring the sunn stuff because it fits in my backpack! :)
  10. will33


    May 22, 2006
    We used big stepdown transformer on all our american gear when I was stationed over there in the early '90's. They were big iron boxes heavier than an SVT and we used 3 of them to run the band, PA and all. Might still need 2 to run multiple amps on the backline like that, or 1 really big one and hope it holds out.

    Maybe they make them smaller now, but renting would still be a lot more convenient. Or bring an american amp that has switchable voltage so all you'd need is an adapter plug to go straight into the wall.
  11. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    Oct 16, 2021

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.