1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Taking bass on plane .

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by vibhas_2310, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Hey Janek !!

I know ur a really busy guy and u travel a lot these days . I wanted to ask you how come u manage to take ur bass in the plane ?? Any tips to avoid all the bs airlines put u through when u carry something bigget than a bag on board ??

I live in India and I'll be coming to the US in August maybe . And I'm planning to buy a bass there to take it back with me . Thats why i'm asking .

And if they dont allow if , then as a last resort , is the hardshell case u get with basses like Fender , Music man , etc. good one to be checked in ?

Thanks . I really do hope u can come to India this year . I was pretty bummed out when that eastwind festival got cancelled last year .

Cheers !!

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have travelled with a bass in the past..until recently I was always able to bring the bass on board and hang it in the closet like a suitbag...but not all planes have this closet. I just used the large hook that usually comes with the gig bag. I sometimes used the overhead but it's risky. The last few trips I took that required me to bring a good bass - I packed the bass in a large box a wrapped it securely as if I was shipping it. I then checked it as luggage and paid the fee since its oversized. But it seems like its a flight by flight type of thing..you never know. Good luck