1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Taking care of my basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorgon91, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hi guys! I need some advice.
    I've been playing bass for 4 years, and learned a lot of things from my dad who was also a bass player. He passed away two years ago, and i inherited all his gear which includes 5 basses: 3 fenders, a lakland and an old hofner bass.
    Here's the thing. I am never gonna get rid of these basses, but it is unlikely that i'll use them all regularly. So, i need some advice on how to take care of them and how to make sure they stay playable.
    I know the basics like how to adjust action & intonation, but thats about it.
    Any help will be much appreciated!

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Are they in cases, preferably hard shell?

3. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Leave them in hard cases with the strings under correct tension, check them at the beginning of winter and in spring to make sure the necks are fairly flat.

Intonation and action not so imortant, you just don't want the neck to develop permanent bow in either direction.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

This - just check the necks for relief when the seasons change, and you should be fine by leaving them at pitch in the cases... IMO, when in doubt it's better to have a bit too much relief than not enough - that way, you'll never have to worry about a back bow developing... In other words, don't leave the necks too straight if you're not going to play them regularly...

- georgestrings

5. Thanks, i do have hardcases but i don't use them at the moment. Will see to that!
    How do you check the neck relief? I have a general idea but I've never tried it so i don't know how to see what's the "right" relief.
    Thanks for all the help!

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    There is no right or wrong relief, it's all personal preference.

Take the bass into playing position, then sight down the neck. You should see the neck bow out slightly towards the front of the bass...that is upbow, or relief. If it's perfectly flat, you've got no relief. If it bows towards the back of the bass, it's called back bow...and you more than likely have string buzz.

Generally speaking, a little relief is preferable to most players.

7. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    ...or, you could assign each of the basses a day of the week, Mon - Fri. Play each bass for at least 30 min. on its assigned day, and remember your dad, while you play. On the weekend, play the bass you like the most. You and your bases well be all the better for your efforts.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Fret the 1st fret with your left hand and the 15th with your right hand, then look at the string at the 6th or 7th fret. The distance between the string and the fret is going to measure the amount of relief you have.