Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taking care of Rosewood fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mmorbidfaithMM, Mar 2, 2006.

1. mmorbidfaithMM

mmorbidfaithMM

Dec 31, 2005
    I recently purchased a Schecter Exotic Zebrawood bass. It has a rosewood fingerboard and I was wondering if anyone had any strategies for taking care of this wood. I want to take care of this bass the best I can. My brother uses "Fast-Fret" on his guitar but it seems kind of corny to me, and leaves the strings slippery and stuff.

2. Both of my basses have rosewood boards and other than cleaning them with a rag I have never touched them and I have not noticed any problems.

3. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Rosewood is somewhat oily so it does not need EXTRA SPECIAL care IMHO. However it does not hurt to oil your fingerboard every couple of yeras (yes...that's right, every couple of years or max. once a year IMO). I definitely believe that over-oiling is much worse than not putting oil on your board. A word of advice...do not use crappy oils on your fingerboard (like furniture grade lemon oil whic is mineral oil with lemon scent!). Use a good slow polymerizing oil like BOILED lineseed oil (the crude un boiled lineseed oil will take forever to dry). Apply a few drops on arag and then rub your board. You do not need more than a few drops to oil your board.

4. I use gunstock oil once a year

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    PSA: if you absolutely must do it, do it infrequently - never more than once a year - and use a ridiculously little amount of oil that you spread around. Ridiculously little as in a few drops tops for the whole board.