Taking care of the bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the-lizard-king, May 30, 2001.

1. Hey guys, just wondering what you guys do to clean and maintain the bass? Should oil be rubbed into the neck? What about the body? My bass is a very glossy black, which looks great but means it shows up every finger mark. What should be used to clean these off? What should be used to polish the body? Another problem is dust gathering around the bridge and pickups and under the strings.
    Thanks alot,
  2. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    There are a few spray polishes out there made for guitar finishes that you can pick up at your local music store, you can also get a cloth which is very soft so it won't damage the finish. As for the hard to reach spots (bridge, pup and tuner areas) you can use a cotton swab or a cotton ball to remove the dirt. Remember to always wipe down your bass, especially the neck after playing your bass, a lot of oils from you fingers and hands will get on the neck and of course when your done after every gig. Sweat will attract dirt and will be hard to remove after awhile. Another thing if you wear jeans with the little rivets like Levis etc. Wear a long shirt to protect the back of your bass, these rivets will cause scratches, marks, etc. and ain't to attractive when trying to re-sell your bass in the future.
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I keep my Warwick waxed with the Warwick wax. Natural finish of course. I keep it protected from sweat and smoke and keep the internal moisture somewhat stable to prevent possible cracking. I have used 70% Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the build-up from the fingerboard on other basses though it probably could suck moisture out of the wood and cause some damage. If I really needed to clean it, I would probably use one of those citrus-based cleaners followed with a good waxing.

On bases with a true finish, I would be a little more open to other products. However, be careful of the electronics.