Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taking Care of your Bass at gigs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Guiseppe, May 30, 2005.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Simple, yet something I still think about:

The 1st thing I do after finishing the last set is get my bass(es) in their cases. Too easy for someone to knock them over moving their gear.

The next thing I do is get my cords put away.

2. A great man once told me,"Take care of your instruments,
    and they'll take care of you". Good advice for all musicians!(Including vocalists)

I have always remembered that advice, and I don't own any
    really expensive basses. I'm sure that the guys who spend
    thousands on theirs have this mantra burned into their brains.

3. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    that's the first thing i do....put the bass in the case....i would recommend that you never use guitar stands for a guitar or a bass....my guitar player was using his gibson les paul and put it on a stand and started to walk away......he triped on the instrument cable and the guitar smashed the stage....broke the neck in half......not good for a $2000 guitar.....from then on we've only used our hard cases

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep. Then I pack up my small electronics, wireless, DIs, effects, mixer, etc. I leave all the cords 'til last. I unplug all the PA speakers and get everyone to help me load out before they split on me. Then I wind all the cables.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My dad's told me that about my cables since day one. The only cable broken in my house was borrowed by my brother. Wind them carefully because each cable has a natural coil. (My dad worked with electronics his entire life and was very knowledgable about this)

Anyway, I'll only use guitar stands in my "studio" and on stage where I need an easilly accessible backup or second instrument for other purposes. Never for storage. Always hardshell cases except for my gigbag which stays on my back, or the bass is on me.

6. After the last song, I unplug and while still wearing my bass, I will give 'er a good wipe down on the neck and body. Then to the case, then one more wipe before it gets closed up. Only after my bass is put away, do I worry about cables or anything else.

7. Bass in the case first - then case straight into the locked boot of the car.

A nice bass in its case is very tempting for someone to walk off with....