Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

taking care of your bass gear

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fatsobasso, Jan 16, 2006.

1. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    I figured i start a thread like this,i have not seen one.

I live by the beach in florida,i would like to hear some advice on taking care of your gear,when there is alot of corrosion possibilities,wax your bass?amplifier ideas ect..use silica gel,just some ideas.

2. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I am not far from the beach too! (Delray Beach, FL). For the most part my gear stays in air-conditioning, beside an outside gig once and awhile. I try not to do any outdoor stuff in summer, if I do I bring a cheapo bass.

As far as my basses, I am a nut as far as keeping them clean. My 15 year Alembic still looks like the day I got it! I wipe down my axes after each use (or set if I am doing a gig). I even give the strings a quik wipe after each song, if there is time. I also give all the hardware a good cleaning (tuners, bridge, etc..) after use. So far, no corrosion problems. Also once a month or so I go over all my basses with Martin guitar polish.

3. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    yeah i wipe my bass down also,after each use,polish maybe every month also,i just moved down here to florida and i notice that metal starts to pit rather quickly,i noticed a small spot on my fender tuning peg,in the crease,like a little pitting(early rust)so
    i was wondering what to do about something like that.

4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Where do you store your basses? Also, are you right on the beach? Salt water will corrode just about anything!

My house has central A/C, so I can leave my stuff out of the cases without worrying about rust.

5. keep it in the case, when not in use. it's hard sometimes, but it will add years to your finish, and keep the beachside rust, to a minimum. i would wipe that thing down, daily. :cool:

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Delray! I used to live in Boynton Beach and then Deerfield Beach...

Is "The Music Center" still around?

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    This would probably go better in the Setup & Repair forum...

8. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    I live like about 14 houses in from the beach,i always keep my bass in the case but am also concerned about my new gk amp and neo speakers.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. Moved.

10. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    only problem is,:meh: not as many people read this forum,so i put it in the other one to get some responses.