Taking gigs from fellow TBers?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mrcbass, May 18, 2021.

1. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm prepping to audition for a new (to me) band (via CL post) looking to replace their current bassist - but he doesn't know it yet. The band wants to have played their last gig with him last weekend - I suspect they'll get someone on board before cutting him loose. I've never been in this situation where there is an active and probably unsuspecting bassist in the mix. Story is he's just not cutting it so, that's not my fault - I'm just answering an ad. But it still feels a little weird. I don't know this guy's name or even what he looks like - only that the band is not happy with him.

I'm very hesitant to talk about the project/audition/opportunity much for fear I might let a cat out. For all I know, he's a member here - there is a pretty good presence of bassists from my market on this forum. I've only knowingly met 1 in person, but I could know other members and not know it because we typically use pseudonyms here. I've met very few local bassists.

Has anybody knowingly replaced another TB member either knowingly or unknowingly (at the time)? Did it stir up any issues? Do you intentionally not post about it if you did?

2. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    Any bass player could be a TB'er so don't feel weird. Nothin' personal right? If it was someone I knew personally that might be different.
    For the same reason, I don't see why you shouldn't post about your new gig, should you get it, maybe just don't name names.

3. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    If I land the gig, then yeah for sure - the chips have fallen. It's not like I contacted the band and told them I want his job or anything.

I often talk about auditions here as well as gigs and other band crap, but I'm hesitant to do that in this case. The project is unique enough to be identified just via talking about their style/plans/people. The guy I'm chatting with is a bit of a character.

LowActionHero likes this.
  4. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    If you get the gig, you are not taking it away; the band is taking it away and giving it to you.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  5. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    There you go, we know who that is now.... :rollno:

6. Ahem.....it might be a good idea to get the background specifically on why they want to let this guy go with no notice. Either it is because they have just had enough of this guy's nonsense and no notice is the best way to avoid long drawn out drama OR THEY are jerks who are likely to give you the heave ho at the first sight of some perceived offense.

Or it could be something in between. I would want to know if only to better understand what I am getting myself into.

That's just my 2 cents though. Good luck.

kentiki, Max Bogosity, pcake and 22 others like this.
  7. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    That was the first thing I asked when I discovered that he's still there. Based on the BL's rants, I'm satisfied that it wasn't a knee jerk decision.

bignc likes this.
  8. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Well, it's not me, because I'm not a him and I didn't have a gig last weekend.

I've only knowingly replaced one bass player who I suspect did not leave of his own accord, and I did feel awkward about that, because it was someone I know. But I also know that he was going to be replaced no matter what, and I sort of owed this band some consideration due to some kindnesses done in the past.

It's not like I stole a gig from someone who otherwise would have remained in that chair. But it is a small town, and even in a big city musicians are a small world, so things here are even worse than that. Perception is 9/10ths of everything and no matter what you do, someone's going to think you did something nefarious, even when you know you didn't. Boils down to how much that matters to you.

pcake, dan1952, stretch80 and 10 others like this.
  9. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't have a problem with the process - like you said he's going to be replaced regardless. It happens - hell it just happened to me.

I'm just a little weirded out when I think about posting about it. Will just wait and see if anything comes from it.

Tony In Philly and LBS-bass like this.
  10. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I hear you. I have not posted anything about this other band anywhere because I don't want to make anyone feel bad. I have no idea how things were handled by the bandleader and so I feel it's not my place to make a lot of noise about it.

I have a creeping suspicion I might know who it is you're talking with, though. But maybe not.

TexasThunder, sonojono and mrcbass like this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    If your real name is MRCBASS maybe introduce yourself as CRMBASS when you're in the company of other bass players for a week or so. Otherwise there shouldn't be much concern. Nobody wants to knock someone off but you are just answering an ad. They are just looking to replace someone. Every bass player in every band has replaced someone or been fired. Only other option is not to play. Besides, the battle is not yours, you are a 3rd party to any disagreement.

roccobass and mrcbass like this.
  12. not that i know of. i've definitely gotten gigs because of issues with the "last guy," whether they were musical, interpersonal, substance abuse, professionalism, scheduling, location, whatever.

it's a competitive market and i'd never purposely undermine someone else. but like you said... all you did was answer the ad. go for it, they are replacing "other guy" either way.

hopefully i'm not the "other guy" btw! :smug:

13. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    It's not Jeff Berlin, is it?

ajkula66, pcake, Jim Nazium and 23 others like this.
  14. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    That's it. I'm definitely not responding to any texts from my BL after this weekend. :laugh:

ajkula66, pcake, Keyser Soze and 16 others like this.
  15. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    LOL. No, NY is not my market.

16. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Aw man, you guessed it!

pcake, QweziRider and dalkowski like this.
  17. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    You're safe - from me at least. ;)
    Philly is not my market.

18. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    What do I win?

pcake likes this.
  19. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    HOW DARE YOU TAKE FOOD OUT OF MY MOUTH, AND WHAT A WAY FOR ME TO FIND OUT I'M FIRED :rage::rage::rage:

Just kidding. Good luck with the audition. :thumbsup:

Back in the 80s I knew a bass player who got fired from a band that was just starting to have some success on the regional circuit and a record deal. He consoled himself by saying it was because the new guy had PA gear. For better or worse, the music industry is competitive at every level. Don't hate the player..

20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i guess i'm not getting the issue..seems like a "big whup!"
    - if you replace someone = they're out, you're in: how else could "replace" happen?
    - what came before you (band politics/culture), no matter how interesting, isn't your concern.
    - you could be replacing a stranger, a friend, a TB member, a relative, whatever --- so what?
    - if you haven't secured the gig yet: practice!

good luck with your audition! :thumbsup:

DrMole and red_rhino like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021