1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Taking out a Stellar ToneStyler Tone Control from a P Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basslust, Aug 14, 2017.

1. basslust

basslust

Apr 18, 2011
    Mass
    I have been looking for a P bass lately and came across one with one of these installed. I personally don't want this as I find the standard tone knob on a P bass to be just fine. Can someone explain what it would take to get a standard tone knob back on there? I can also bring it to a luthier but am not sure of what to expect as far as cost. I would call about this but would really like to know tonight. Thanks for the help.

2. Very simple, but you'll need parts, a capacitor & a audio taper potentiometer. (I'd recommend 500k Ohm)
    unless you can remove capacitors from the "tonestyler"

Before you do it though, dial through the "tonestyler" settings & figure out which capacitor value you appreciate the most.
    assuming you can determine which positions on it are which capacitance value

3. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    the problem with the Tonestyler you can't dial in how much effect you want for each capacitor. The resistor is fixed. Varitones I've built I use a pot so I can dial it in like a tone pot

4. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Pm me I'll buy it once you get it replaced.

5. It takes $5 worth of parts, and about 15 minutes worth of work to replace a Tonestyler with a standard tone control.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Modern wiring and 60's era wiring.

Pbass modern to vintage wiring.

7. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You need a 250k or 500k audio taper potentiometer and an inexpensive .047 poly capacitor (or the cap value of your choice), some solder, a soldering iron, and about 15 minutes all in to do it.

Don't mess with the Tonestyler. They're surprisingly expensive for what they are and there's a ready market for used ones. Just carefully remove it and sell it.

Aqualung60 and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  8. Those are both the same wiring. No need to have two diagrams.

However, in the second diagram, the capacitor is soldered in between two pots. This is a poor practice that should be avoided, because it places unnecessary strain on the capacitor, if either pot comes loose and spins around.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. I second that, same electrically, but one is not mechanically sound.

and get 500k Ohm pots
    :cool:

unless you only like Vintage (weak) or dark timbre

10. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    Just put an EMG-GZR P in it . . . :D