Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

taking out inlays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott D, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Is it possible to take out dot inlays on an SX jazz bass?

2. deftim69

deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
    SODER GUN AND ALOT OF PATIENCE. JUST DONT DO IT IF YOU HAVE HAD A FEW BEERS.I KNOW THAT FROM EXPERIENCE.

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

This is one of the more interesting posts I've seen here in awhile...:meh:

I'm sure they can be taken out...I'm curious as to why you want to?

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    i love the look of a blank rosewood board, it adds alot to the looks i believe. i've always wanted a clean rosewood board.

how do i sodder them out? what would i do when theyre out?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You can pull them, but remember, they're in there. You're going to have an inlay-shaped hole.

6. DRUNK PEOPLE SPEAK LOUD! :D ;)

7. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    im not sure exactly how to take them out, but once they are out you will have holes there.

when i made my bass fretless by taking out the frets, i went to a home improvement store and got some wood filler stuff to fill in the fret holes. then i used polyurethane to cover the entire board and to finish it. you may have to do something similar.

8. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    The problem with this is that now instead of having inlay shaped holes you have wood filler colored inlays.

9. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    well not if you get the right color, they have many different types and colors. and you may also need to sand them down and such, but you will be able to tell somewhat that there were/are holes there.