...Taking out the Truss rod??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    OKay.. im not gonna do this!!! Cause i think well, that its stupid and i dont wanna ruin my bass.

I have a friend who is .... a very good bassplayer and knows alot, theory wise and has built a few basses.
    So last night at Higher Ground(first paying gig). He told me he took out his trussrod from one of his cheaper basses and filled up the trussrod space with BB's. He said it gave him more sustain.
    I dunno if hes full of BS or what so im asking you guys.

Does this sound like it could be the truth??
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    When The tears quit running down my face from laughing, I'll try to answer you. :) :) :)

I don't believe that's really a good idea.

If your friend told you that he builds basses, why don't you ask to see one of them.

Seriously the strings would be so high without a truss rod that the bass would be unplayable.

3. he may think it's one big step forward........but.....that truss rod was put there for a reason.........

assuming the bb's weigh more than the truss rod even though they're made of similar materials and take up similar amounts of space...........

you may get more sustain because there's more mass, but you'll also get more rattling.......a hundred bb's or one truss rod....hm.............and you'll get more bow in your neck. one hell a trade off, in my opinion....
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah that sounds very :meh:. I don't know whoat he was thinking when he did that. Maybe a real luthier could come in here and confirm our suspicions.
  5. Oh well when it breaks you can all play marbles during the set break.