Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taking Spray Paint off

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Futterman, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Futterman

Futterman

Feb 12, 2003
    uranus
    So my friend awhile back spray painted 3 letters on his amp(white spray paint) and i think it looks horrible, so now after a few months, he's trying to figure out a way to get it off, i told him he's pretty much screwed but is there anything that can take off the spray paint from his cab? We really haven't tryed anything yet since i didn't think there was anything that could take it off. The only think i could suggest was spray paint black over the white, but it would still look alittle horrible..lol

Any suggestions would be greatfull

Thanks

2. On what type of material was the spray painted painted on?

Need that info to be able to help you out, but don't get too worried, it 'should' be an easy fix.

3. Futterman

Futterman

Feb 12, 2003
    uranus
    Wow! that was fast

To be completely honest, i'm not sure on the material, but its the same as my ampeg classic cab, if that helps. I can find out what that material is.

Thanks for the help pantsman

4. hey no probs, thats what TB is for!

Is it carpet or more like vinyl?

Cause paint stripper will do it, but you can only use it on certain surfaces, stripper and plastic/rubber = bad idea.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    They make spray paint remover.

6. Due to the fact that Spray paint is enamel based, you have to use a non-polar solvent eg, Paint Stripper or someless more gentle like Metho.

Once I know what the spray paint is on i can pick the right solvent for ze job.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Is it on tolex? And what kind of spraypaint was it?

8. Futterman

Futterman

Feb 12, 2003
    uranus
    Thanks again guys

Its on the side of the amp, like below the handles.. i believe its rubber, def not vinyl.

I really couldn't tell you what kinda spray paint it was, it was so long ago he forgot, i'm trying to remember what it looked like but i'm blank too...sorry

9. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    You can use WD-40.

10. Just remember to test whatever you are using on somewhere fairly hidden, just in case. You can never be too careful, also read the directions/warnings on what ever product too, sounds dumb, but in actual fact is a very smart idea. Same as measure twice cut once, read twice, test once then use :p