Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taking stitches out

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was in Worcestor, Massachusettes visiting relatives recently. On friday, I ended up in the ER after putting my arm through the glass on a door. I eventually stopped the bleeding, and my parents drove me to the emergency room at the Umass hospital. I now have a wound on my wrist glued together with this medical glue called dermabond. I have a wound on my forearm with three stitches in it.

I've been told unnoficially by the nurse practitioner at the hospital that I can take the stitches out myself. I've also heard this from other sources. I'm now home, and don't have a doctor in my area because I'm in a transitional period from my pediatrition, so I don't currently have a doctor in the area. (heading away to college soon)

Anyhow, would you recommend doing it myself? How do I do it? Anything I need to know? (I still have about a week to go)

2. I would suggest getting the smallest and most pointy siccors and tweezers you can.

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Lots and lots of liqour.

4. if you have a really steady hand and a very very clean exacto knife then you can cut the stitch and slowly pull them out with a pair of fine tweasers to avoid causing more injuries.

5. And make sure you videotape it and post it somewhere so we can see. :cool:

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Easy and painless. Clean the stitches well, peroxide may be a good idea, then snip the stich with a sterilized pair of scissors, then pull those babies out. It is important to clean everything well, because when you pull them through, anything on the stitch will travel through the wound. This works for me anyway, follow advice at your own risk.

7. forgot the other way...

Bit them off

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Even better, amputate your whole arm.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Talkbass isn't here to give medical advice of this nature. I'm not comfortable with this thread and advice you to contact a medical doctor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.