Taking strings off and putting them back brightens them up!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by alexclaber, Mar 15, 2003.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just confirmed this: I've had the same strings on my bass for almost 3 years and they sound lovely. But, a while back I took them off (can't remember why) and on replacing them they sounded brighter.

Now I've just had a thumbrest/ramp put on my bass and once again the strings are sounding brighter following removal and re-fitting. It would appear that the various deposits deadening the sound must just fall off.

I don't need brighter strings fortunately (I have a very bright bass) but, it's a damn sight easier than boiling them, and cheaper than buying new ones.

2. yeah, I've noticed it too.

I think it's due to the soaked-in sweat + skin deposits getting loosened up, so some flexibility returns to the string.

it's not quite as noticeable as boiling/soaking in solvent though.
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've found the same.

When you take the strings off, obviously they lose the tension - so they're not as stretched. With rounds - I guess this compresses the gaps, so the various crap that's got in there is sorta pushed out.

That's my guess.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ugh, GUYS , DO NOT BOIL YOUR STRINGS. It does NOT make them brighter. While you might notice a change for the first few mintues, the water that has gotten into the center of the strings, begins to have all sorts of bad side effects. The result: Your strings end up more dead then they were to begin with.

But I had no idea that this would make your strings sound brighter, but when I think of it, it makes sense. All the crud that was in there (or some of it) is forced out maybe? Sounds cool. I'll try it some day.
  5. well, it seems to work for me- the double ball set of Rotosound Swing bass presently on my Hohner B2A dates back to around june last year- I've soaked that set in solvent and then boiled it each time the strings went dead- probably at least 20 times.
    they're bright at the moment.
  6. LessWooten

LessWooten Guest

Mar 22, 2003
    Perrysburg, OH
    even just loosening the strings and re-tightening them helps. its sorta like breakin the strings in real good, or like the srings get cramped up and need to strech is how i like to think of it.
  7. If this is the case...and it sounds very logical...

why don't we try and put some string cleaner
    of some kind on the string before, losening the
    tension on them.

This may soften the 'crap' between the strings
    and force even more out.

Also .... instead of removing them completely...
    what if say...we just losen the string enough so
    that there is no more tension on the string
    proper....and wipe the outside and gunk off...

then retighten?

Hey...I'll try that!

thanks for the info

Aloha from Hawaii...