Taking the Douglas Violin Plunge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Mar 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I have this problem; I have bought 3 Epiphone Violas over the last eighteen years but eventually sold them all as my personal and professional needs have changed. I am well aware of the instrument's less than obvious versatility, durability, and overall value. Now, I need (uh, want?) another. I could go to the GC used site, as they are plentiful at around $249, but it appears to me that the Rondo Douglas Violin bass is nearly identical. Now, there is no headstock problem that a strip of black electrical tape won't solve, but how can it be that these knock-offs of a knock-off be any good? I love cheap basses (despite having some very nice MIA and MIJ Fenders), and am severely tempted. I have read various threads here, and it appears these could indeed be sourced from the same factory as the Epiphones. Quite a few seem to like them! At $180 shipped, I'm thinking I can hardly go wrong; what say you?

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    At $180 shipped, even if it's unplayable, it will surely make a nice wall ornament.

3. Ah, that dry Connecticut humor! My home state as well. You are right, of course.

4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I say go for it!

IMGP2387-1.jpg

ed morgan likes this.
  5. Those look really nice! I really cannot see any difference with the Epi save for the zero fret and headstock--neither of which matter for me. Are these as gig-worthy as the Epi Violas?

6. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I've never had an epi violin bass. And I wouldn't know what to do with the crazy controls on them (the Douglas controls are simply VVT, like I'm used to on my J's). I also have never played mine out (the only place I play outside of home is church, and my other basses fill that role much better). BUT I would have no reservations taking them out, if the music called for it. They are solid and do what they do well.

7. davelowell2

davelowell2 I’m not superstitious. Maybe a little stitious. Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    NY
    I liked my Douglas while I had it. I say buy it...

8. The Epi Viola has the same control configuration as the Douglas (VVT); at a glance, they look identical. I just wonder if the electronics are as good.

9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Life is short, buy the bass. Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    For the money you can't go wrong with one of these. Nice little bsss, very playable.

Orpheus55 and electracoyote like this.
  10. Agreed. Definitely in the same ballpark with the Epi's and Hofner Icon series. You don't hear many complaints about the Rondo violin bass offerings, and lots of cheering.

Orpheus55 likes this.