Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

taking the GK plunge.....again

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jun 27, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Alot of you have seen the roller coaster that is my fascination with GK. I recently bought a Genz Benz rig, and after a month of use, I've determined its just not for me. I need a hi-fi, colored sound to sustain my happiness. I just haven't gotten that out of my GBE 600. So I was playing a 1001RB-II today at Guitar Center, and I remembered why I wanted a GK in the first place. I asked how low the assistant manager would go for me with the 1001, and he quoted $550. I then asked about the 410RBH, turns out GC is blowing them out, so he said $400. I asked about the 2001 just for the heck of it and he quoted $1100. So now, I'm ditching the Genz for GK. Lord only knows if I'll ever be satisfied. I'm trying to work out cab combination, and which head to get, 1001 or 2001. Any input?

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    If someone is stuck on having a head unit then the GK is one that I recommend. Its not a bad sounding head, I just wish they didn't do the byamp crap with them and had two channels pushing the same power out.

3. The 2001RB DOES have two 540 watt power amps in addition to a pair of 50 watt amps to accomodate the horn biamp feature. We realize not everyone is going to understand or appreciate the advantage of the Horn Management system, but once you know how it works and why, it really is a cool and we see very few blown tweeters as a result of it.

4. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    GC is blowing out the RBH cabs because (I think) GK is coming out with a revised version. Dan Elliott mentioned this on TB a while ago. I briefly owned a 1001-II, a 210 RBH and a 115 RBH. I couldn't get my sound dialed in, which is old school Motown/Memphis. If you are stuck on GK, my opinion would be to wait for the newer versions. The current RBH cabs are heavy, have a weird shape that doesn't stack well, and are kind of dry sounding, IMO.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Hey Dan, what are the revisions coming up?

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

As I mentioned I’m a fan of the GK heads when it comes to head units. I’m just not a fan of head units for the most part, but they can be easier to move around. I would like to see you all come out with just a preamp for those guys that do component setups and like the power and response a power amp give a head generally can‘t. I go like the clarity the GK’s have over a lot of other heads!

I understand the concept, just because I think added the 50 watts to each channel and making it 590 a channel would be better then a 50 watt channel that a lot of people don’t ever use would be more beneficial to the user. Many people don’t use the same brand cabinets with the heads. I understand that’s the way it’s designed, but its just not the way a lot buy their rigs.

7. We do have a preamp. It's the 2001RBP

8. There are no revisions planned for the RBH line. GC has decided to carry the less expensive SBX cabinet line instead.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    When can I expect to see the 810SBX in stores?

10. The 810 will start shipping at the end of July, but GC will not be carrying it right away.

11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    $400 for a 410RBH :eek: . I wish I had some money. My Peavey 4X10 is inefficient and doesn't handle lows as well as I would like.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I LOVE my 1001RB-II :) .

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    central can i offer some advice?

take ur time. slow down. you are going to loose ur tail in trade in's. take ur time... find your holy grail then shop for a deal on it. i wish i would have tkaen my time and bought what i wanted the first time instead of getting what i could afford at the time. would have saved a fortune.

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Oh, cool. I never see any around. I'll have to look a little harder.

Thanks
    Brian

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Believe me, I've tried just about every amp that every local dealer has. GK is what I want. If I had the money I'd definetely go for the 2001, but I don't have time to save. I need a pleasing rig now. I'm currently selling my Genz Benz rig for the money for this GK venture.

As much as I'd like to take my business to Martin, they just don't have a selection I'd like.

~Patrick

15. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i wasnt referring to martin. heck if you like swr thats the place for you. give brain a call at the low end. he definately sheds some light on the whole amp delima.

i'm just an old man trying to hand down some advice. no harm no foul i hope.

16. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I knew I wasn't nuts.... Mr Elliott posted this on 4/05/04 in a thread called "GK SBX Cabs":

"We've been spending a lot of time in the lab lately with the 210 and 410RBH cabs redesigning the speaker. Expect some changes next year with the RBH. In the meantime, the Neodymium series is about to go into production."

17. you did mention you were gonna get it at GC right? ummmm i bought one of the newer 1001 RBII's back in october and it was "new, out of the box".. went home and i got through 3 notes and the thing took a huge crap. not too cool for a "new" amplifier.. just a note of caution because that price you are gonna get it for is almost "too sweet" of a deal knowing GC's quality control...

GC did make it right and i scored an 800RB at a killer price. this was also "new", but i made damn sure my hands were the first ones opening that box.. i personally think the 800RB sounds better than the 1001 does too. the simplicity of the design seems to work better towards my playing style, that and i'm not a knob-twiddler :D

18. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I got a 1001rb-II a few months ago and it's a super monster killer! I can't see anyone needing more power than it produces unless you're pushing an Acme or other inefficient cab. I've had an 800rb for 15 years and the 1001 is on a whole different level tonewise and powerwise.

Alan

19. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    It is not Guitar Center. I have owned two GK 1001's and the problem is an easy fix. They replace the bridge diodes. The GK 1001 is a good -not great amp. I just replaced my GK 1001 with a Thunderfunk but the GK is still a good choice for a lightweight powerful head.

20. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    This is 100% subjective. I consider mine a great amp. It may not be the best that money can buy, but it sounds and performs wonderfully for me. I would expect to dump a whole lot more money on anything that would be marginally superior for my personal musical tastes.

I understand that you're not calling it "crap" or anything to that extent, but I thought this needed clarification.

Now, with that said...
    If I were going to need the power of something equivalent to the 2001rb (I use a 1001rb primarily & 700rb as backup,) I'd personally look into a Sansamp RBI + 1000W poweramp or something similar. Unless you're playing some serious gigs, most people would never need what the 2001 pushes. But whether cental234232352 needs the power or not isn't the question, obviously.

For all practical applications, a new 1001rb II would fulfill nearly any power requirements for your average gigging bassist using cabinets that aren't outrageously power-hungry.