1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Taking The High Road

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Jul 20, 2012.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Just something for all of you in Working Bands to think about.

As bass players from time to time we are going to have to deal with drummers with tempo issues and that guitarist who makes the same mistake over and over again.

Don't obsess on these things, don't become a part of the problem and fall out of the groove.

Ignore their errors and keep driving the groove and be the best bass guitar player you can be.

Somebody will be thinking;

"The band wasn't that good, seemed like the bass player was carrying the band."

Blue

View attachment 279045

2. OK, I'll bite. What happened?

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Errors , like beauty ,are in the eye of the beholder , there's no telling who will be blamed.
    Just smile , for some reason when i make mistakes it makes me laugh.
    I also laugh at my bandmates when they flub something.
    Makes for a better work environment too.

4. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Nothing, I was dealing with those issues. I discussed it with my teacher ( yes I still study, plus my teacher is my age and he's a Milwaukee insider)

Anyway he gave me the "high road " advice.

I figured it was worth sharing.

Blue

5. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    High road indeed Blue, I'll+1 that. We took our drummer aside a few monthe ago and had a heart to heart with him over his Kieth Moon style of playing over our Grateful Dead
    style of music. We made sure he was aware we valued his contribution to the music and asked if he might consider "contributing" a little less. Because of the tone we took he actually altered his style and the last dozen gigs he has been a pleasure to play with. We also asked a couple of our friends to tell him his playing sounded way better (it does). Never hurts to stroke a drummers ego. I swear sometimes it feels like ya gotta be part therapist/shrink to navigate being in a band.

6. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I'm not sure I react to my mistakes the same as you. I get nervous and anxious and I feel everyone is focused on me.

Maybe it's my age, but last weekend at a show I drew a complete blank on a bass intro I have played nurmerous times. It took a while before the line came back to me.

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Well, I hope your drummer doesn't return to Keith. Moon land.

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Off topic;

The band has a 9:30 - 1:30 tonight.

I really don't like getting home at 3:00am.

Whatever happened to 8:00- 12:00?

9. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I have had the same thing happen to me before trying to remember an intro bassline. I just turned the volume down to zero and noodled until I remembered the bassline. Meanwhile, my bandmates are giving me a weird vibe and are saying, " Hey dude, were all waiting for you to start the song." Once the song gets going, then everything falls into place and I can hear the bassline in my head.
    I don't think it has anything to do with getting old. We all just have a brain fart from time to time.