Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

taking the pickup cover off of a Ric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So I got my 1980 Ric finally and I can't get used to playing with the pickup cover on it. Do I just remove the 2 screws on the side of the chrome piece, pop it off, remove the cover and screw the thing back in (or not if I so choose)?

thanks. i know it sounds like a silly question...well, i guess it is.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You just take the cover off, but it can be a bit tricky. On my old Ric 4000 (bridge pup only), the pickup was spring loaded or something (almost thirty ears ago) and I had to hold tight to get the screws back in once I took the cover off. By the way, the metal surrounding the pickup functioned well for me as a thumb rest when I used one. The downside is that all kinds of dust when get in around the pickup once the cover is gone.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    No, it's much more complicated. It's different than the Ric 4000. The 4001-4003 has no use for the horseshoe peice, yet it is in the body. You need to destring, remove the chrome peices around the bridge pickup, and take it out from there. It's actually under the chrome peice around the pickup.

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i had the shop remove it today. now it's perfect.