1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Taking the Plunge - Lessons

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Quatzu, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Quatzu

Quatzu

Jul 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Tomorrow I will undergo my first-ever bass lesson. I've been messing around for a year or so now, and my girlfriend surprised me my contacting a local teacher and setting it up. I managed to become a working drummer for most of my life without ever having a lesson, so tomorrow will represent my first music lesson of any kind.

I am pretty nervous, but I am so excited to have the world of legitimate bass knowledge opened up to me.

The teacher is John Clark in San Francisco (clarkmusicstudio.com), and he sounds pretty awesome.

Wish me luck.

2. quale213

quale213

Sep 17, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Have fun man. I had my first lesson (music theory lessons) after 7 years of playing and it immediately made a difference. Hope you enjoy

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Lessons are definitely a good idea. You can certainly do a lot on your own and many people have, but I also think that having one-on-one time with a good instructor can help you progress farther faster than by trying to go at it alone.

For the record, I'm 44 now and started playing bass when I was about 38 and was just jamming and doing home recording with some friends. I had messed around with guitar for a lot of years before that and I volunteered to try bass. I realized I found a home and haven't really touched a guitar since then.

I finally started taking lessons this past November - from someone who's 20 years old. If you think YOU'RE nervous, try taking lessons from someone less than half your age! ;) I'm not sure he's the right instructor for me, though age has nothing to do with it. I just seems like sometimes when we're discussing a new topic I end up teaching him things I've already learned on my own (books, internet forums, related web sites, etc.), not to mention that his lesson plan for the foreseeable future doesn't include reading. However, just having someone with more playing experience to regularly bounce ideas off of and help direct me toward things that will help me the most is a good thing. I'm still nervous when I walk into the studio each week, but I'm also developing skills much faster than I ever did and am gaining confidence as well.

Sure, some guys do exceptionally well on they're own but I think they're the exception rather than the rule. I'm sure lessons can help just about anybody. Don't think so? Then consider Neil Peart. There aren't many drummers who can fill his shoes but even he took lessons recently - FROM PETER ERSKINE!!! :eek:

4. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Tiger Woods still takes golf lessons from his pro as well. You can never learn enough. It's a never ending lifelong process.

5. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Congratulations on taking the plunge ... after two years of trying to self-teach I've been taking lessons for the last couple of months my playing, and maybe more important my understanding of what I'm playing, has improved ten-fold. :bassist: