1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Taking the plunge on a Fender 100T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassfuser, Mar 4, 2013.

1. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    Maybe I shouldn't have posted this in the Fender 100T thread so I'm reposting here.

My problem is that I currently own a Mesa Boogie Buster 200 in which I just replace the 6L6 tubes with SEDs. It sounds great so no complaints with the Buster.

Since I have the Buster, would it be worth getting the 100T? Do you think the tone would be better? Would there be any other advantages? I know the Buster is biased kind of light, but the SED tubes seem to give it a bit more life.

I'm just having trouble justifying getting the Fender when I already have a nice tube head. Do you guys think the Fender would be a major upgrade?

I've read most of the 100T thread(s) so I realize there are cool features not present on the Buster, but when it comes down to owning another tube amp, does it really make sence to buy the 100T?

Any advice would be great.

2. Another Buster owner interested in this... though I have no plans to sell the Buster!

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    disclosure. I have owned and gigged a Buster 200, and I have had a month long trial of a Super Bassman 300 (not the 100T).

So, having said all all that, I would suggest that because they both have basically the same tone stack, the Buster and the 100T will have similar tone ranges, particularly on the Vintage channel of the 100T.

Then again, as you probably already know, the 100T brings some interesting and potentially useful features that the Buster does not have like a second, "overdrive" channel that also offers a more modern tone with sweepable mids as well as bass/treble "boost" features. The 100T also has a pretty nifty 25w mode for lower volume use. It also has the option of a no speaker, studio recording mode which would be a major no-no for the Buster. The Fender also has a user bias function for running the tubes either a bit "hot" or "cold" (or just right). Also, one is brand new design, and the other is a 20-25 year old design (not that that is any problem in general).

So, lots a newer features come with the Fender. But if you are happy with your Buster, and money is any factor in the decision, I'm not sure why you'd get a 100T.

If you really wanted 2 all tube amps, it might make more sense to look at something with a bit different tone profile like Ampeg, Orange or Trace.

Of course, all of this is just IMO .. but you asked. :cool:

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd think, if you like your Buster, there's not much to gain with the 100T.

So, I'd recommend getting the Super Bassman 300. :D

5. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    If you don't need it, why not wait and hear the Mesa Prodigy and 100W Ashdown that are going to be available soon? Play all of them and see if one of them makes you smile.

6. Interesting... and GAS reducing (thankfully!). I've found that I can get plenty loud enough with the Buster for any club in my region, so the extra 100 watts of the 300T are not that GAS inducing either. And if I need dirt in my tone, I have pedals that can do that.

7. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I hear you Matt. And while I really liked the tone, options and flexibility of the Super Bassman 300, it was a HEAVY haul, particularly after a few years with my primary amp being the 18lb Walkabout. 300w tube watts is just huge overkill for any dates that I do where I provide the primary stage sound (no FOH).

8. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    Thanks for all the comments. It's just that there's so much cool stuff that I want it all. GAS craziness.

I guess you're correct that I should wait and check out some other options. The Buster will probably fit my needs but the features on the Fender make it tempting. I could always get one and use it as a backup for the Buster. Maybe vice-versa. :smug:

9. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well gmahoog, if money is not the issue, I'd say buy 2 ! :D
    we were just trying to offer practical suggestions.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well....like he said; if cash is no prob, get the 100T, just because.

This here's America, more is better.

11. bassfuser

bassfuser

Jul 16, 2008
    You just had to reopen the GAS when I was finally over it.

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I'm also gassing hard for a 100T.
    !!!!!!SOON!!!!!! :bawl: