Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taking the Plunge on a JP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Well, I have decided to take the plunge on a JP. With the great looking basses, plus the sound files I have been able to get a hold of, I have decided to get this bass to satisfy my desire for a fretless, a single-cut hollowbody Plume 6 string.

I just have to say that communicating with JP is great, he is quick to reply and he is great to deal with. He's just a great guy all around!

[​IMG]

Geoff

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    JP is definitely a great guy to work with.
    Really knows his craft, and is building some fine specimens. I am so eager to hear/see a semi-hollow fretless SC.

I really love my Plume; so simple, yet refined.
    I think yours will be the ultimate recipe.
    I'm looking forward to seeing peoples reactions at the Bass Summit when they get to meet the Plume tomorrow.

Good choice Geoff. You're going to end up with one of the sharpest arsenals around!

I just hope you're ready for that p'up/preamp combo; it is a MONSTER!

3. JPs are looking great! I hope you get everything you want Geoff!:)

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Geoff, that looks like it will be killer.

Mark, what exactly <i>is</i> the pickup/preamp combination in your JP ?

5. Will do.

Geoff

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    same combo Geoff is getting;

Pickups: JP

Controls: E-Pro BTB-01

Bridge: ABM

they sound SO GOOD! Unbelievable!

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    not familiar with the preamp; is it 3 band ?

8. It is a John East preamp and it is 2-band.

Geoff

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I love John's work. That'll sound killer. I'm having a U Retro put in one of my upcoming commissions.

10. Cool -- I was wondering how long it would take before that koa bass we were voting on was spoken for! Can't wait to see it finished....

Mike

11. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    The BTB-01 aka the P-retro is IMO the best designed preamp out there and yes, it's a 2 band pre. Here are the specs:

- TREBLE (+12dB @ 3 kHz, -12dB @ 1kHz) The upper knob is the Treble control with boost and cut. The central 'flat' position is indented. The cut settings work on lower frequencies compared to boost to give a deeper sound when the top is rolled off.
    - BRIGHT (+8dB @ 7kHz) Pull the Treble knob for the Bright setting.
    - BASS (+15dB @ 50Hz) The lower outer knob is the boost only Bass control. The frequency band of boost gets progressively lower as the boost is increased. An indent midway is included to aid the setting of this control.

Works great! With my pickup placement and on my basses I don't feel the need for mids control. The U-retro is also just "too much" for me. Parametric mids are IME difficult to use on stage and add more unusable than usefull tones to the bass (just my opinion).

John is now working on an unstacked version of the BTB. Cool news.

Peace, JP

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I can't wait to ply the JP tommorow at the Bass Summit!
    Geoff, I've talked with JP ALOT on here, and in the chat. He's great to talk to, you're right! That looks like it's gonna be beautiful, and best of luck with it...make sure to keep us informed!

13. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    ;)

Yep that's the one form the poll. I'm very happy that is goes to such a good home!

Peace, JP

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Please let me know how you "like" Mark's Plume tomorrow!

Also I would like one more time to thanks you all for the kinds words about me and my work! Much appreciated here.

I try my best.

Peace, JP

15. The bass is now going to have a 28 fret range. Here is a sketch of the modified body.

[​IMG]

JP must have the fastest response time ever. Thanks JP.

Geoff

16. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That is such a nice body design. Very unique and very classy. I can't wait to see it finished.

17. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks Geoff and Jared!

I guess Mike's Nordstrand inspired us for the 28 fret range thing. I really like the look of the fingerboard running up to the pickup cavity.

The dashed-lines on the sketch show the hollowed sections of the body core. Geoff requested a tummy cut on the back so I need to leave some meterial on the upper half of the body.

Peace, JP

18. You and me both!

Geoff

19. Wow!! That looks great! I really like the body design.

JP - I hope you're getting that camera ready to document the progress!

Can't wait to see this one under construction.

Jeff

20. Besides Carey's, yours is my other favorite singlecut design, JP. Looks great done up as a 28 fret, too!

Mike