Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taking the switches out of the mix

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 6, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, I've had about 4 threads about my Peavey T-40, hopefully this will be the last.

I've finally bought switches for it, but with the switches being huge and the wires being... well.. there is a lot of wires running every direction, I just want to remove the switches.

There are two volumes and two tones, I just want them to straight control the pickups... no switches.

Here's the schematic...
    http://forums.peavey.com:8080/upload/T60 - T40.pdf

Where do the wires need to go, instead of onto the switches.

(Also, so I don't have to start another thread... I'm going to need a new pickguard, I want to make one... what should I use? How should I cut it... hacksaw to get it rough and sandpaper to smooth it out?

2. Can't seem to access your schematic link. Getting an error.

"WebBoard Error: Invalid Board
    You must specify a valid board using the following syntax:

http://forums.peavey.com:8080/~board_name" .. etc..

What is your main reason for wanting to remove the switches?

Mag...

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, I'd like them to be in there, but I paid $12 for the switches, and they barely fit in, and they make it impossible to wire the damn thing.

I'm not picky enough about pickup positions to care. Plus if the schematic link works this time, I don't understand the purpose for the two switches. (I bought it broke)

http://forums.peavey.com:8080/upload/T60 - T40.pdf

hmm... maybe you need to be on the Peavey website to access it... or maybe it will work this time. :meh:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Dammit, yeah...

If anyone is kind enough to do so: To find the schematic, you have to go to Peavey.com, go to contact us... forums... sign on as guest... seach... T-40 schematic... and download the file. :meh: :help:

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, you can just rewire the ting, matt. Let me see if I can draw up a schematic for you.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Here's your schematic, Matt.

7. Matt, the purpose for those switches are a pickup selector switch (neck, both, bridge) and the other 2-position switch is a phase switch.
    It sounds like you might have differently-sized replacement switches. They do come in various sizes. I just bought and replaced 4 in a BC Rich Mockingbird, and this was a tough project, but came out nicely. The switches were less than 2 dollars per switch at a local electronics shop.
    I can understand your frustration, but if it were me, I would find someone capable of installing the switches.
    Why? It's really nice to have a pickup selector switch. It's easier to go from sound to sound without having to turn one p'ups volume up and the other down. Of course, it's not entirely necessary, but a nice feature. I'm almost thinking that you want to cut your own new pickguard to remove the existing switch holes from the old one?

The phase switch lets you color the tone, by switching the pickups between dual-coil and single coil.

All in all, it's not an easy project. The criss-crossing wires on the switches have to be right, you need to be experienced with a soldering iron to work with those small terminals and thin wire. But then again, bypassing the switches still means you'll need to solder and insulate all the wires that went to the switches..

Good luck with whatever you decide. I used to own a T-40 for many years. Nice playing bass.

Mag...

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Thank you. :)

I'm not going to completely give up on the switches. Yeah, the switches I bought were huge. The only three toggles I could find were on stew mac and they were huge.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Misc question: Why does it matter where the grounds end? Do they need to be seperate to work right? Also, the rest of the grounds from the pickups, does it matter where they are grounded? Or is the diagram Peavey gave me a suggestion?

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Question: In your schematic, you elminated the white wire all together (it comes out of the pickups). It exsists because of the switches it seems. Should it just be clipped/covered?

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Another note in comparing it to the original schematic: I noticed you have both pickups red wire running to the volume first. The original has one red running to a volume and one to a tone. Is this changed due to the removal of switches?

I'm now finally doing this. :D

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    here you go. I think I got it all figgered out.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks much chief.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Let me know how that works. I went to the original schematic, and looked at where the wires were going. After studying it a bit, I just traced the path that would eliminate the switches. One thing I didn't quite get is the routing of the pickup wires, unless the red and the white are actually the same output. Anyways, good luck with it.