Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taking up guitar.. good or bad thing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by flea claypool, Jan 7, 2005.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    So ive been playing about a year and a half and i really enjoy bass... but i also want to take up guitar as i fell it would help my playin and it would help me understand bout instruments.. :eyebrow:

and people were telling me my hands are too big but look at srv! :bassist:

so how many of you play both bass and guitar?

and is it a good or bad idea?
    Aurin

2. I played guitar for about 10 years before picking up the bass. I like being able to help write some things on guitar with my band. I think playing different instruments helps make you more of a complete musician. I say go for it.

3. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I play (and teach) both. I doubt it would hurt.

If you want to increase your skills as a musician in general, I would recommend piano lessons or voice lessons. Both will get you completely away from the fretboard. I took voice lessons for a while and it taught me a lot about phrasing and melodicism. I think piano is a great tool to learn more about rhythmic and melodic interplay.

Good luck!

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    If you want to learn guitar then it's not a bad thing because it's what you want to do.

I myself started off playing guitar. Then I decided i'm more of a bass type guy. However i'm still a sucker when it comes to guitar. Most of my musical influences are guitar players to be honest. Only downside is there are very few if any guitar heros today. No one actually seems to "play" the dam thing anymore (except Buckethead).

I still have my guitar but my fingers are pretty roughed up from the bass strings. The tiny thin guitar strings act like a razor blade on my calases.

5. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Yeah, I agree with wyliee. I'm going to get myself some keys, take some lessons, then move on to a touch style instrument.

But yeah, if you want to play guitar, go for it. I play both, it's fun.

6. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    In my band, one of my guitarists can play the bass decently. But he plays bass like a guitarist (his rhythm). I play guitar also, but I play guitar like a bass. I'm sure your knowledge of one instrument would show through in the other, but it also expands your understanding of other people in your band.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Playing, or learning to play the guitar, will help your understanding of chord structure, and melodies.

It can only help you in the long run, as the more you understand those things, the more you can play on the bass and make it fit with the music.

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I play guitar too, and I find that it only helps me (other than time spent on guitar can take away from "bass time"). I've been getting my keyboard skills back in order recently too. Like wyliee said, it's nice to get away from the fretboard and look at music from a different perspective.

9. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I think learning piano chords or guitar chords are two of the the best 'non-bass' things you can do as a musician... (along with learning the basics of drumming)

I dunno how much learning to play 'stunt guitar' can help one as a bass player (even 'stunt bass' players), but learning the meat & potatoes of what other musicians do is an excellent way to broaden your skills

10. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Cool reckon ill go for it

thanks guys!!!
    Aurin