Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taking your bass on a plane

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trist6075, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    Hey I think I might be going out to IL from Cali for about a week during the summer. I'd hate to not get to practice for a week and i want to bring my acoustic cuz i probably wont be able to find an amp to use out there. I'm trying to keep it light on the luggage too. The only thing is that I have this Olympia Tacoma bass and its this wierd shape that it doesnt fit into a hardshell case. I just have this homemade leather and alagator skin case and i dont know how it would hold up through all getting tossed around. I'd hate to get a bag of splinters when i get there too. Should I just keep looking for acoustic guitar cases or what? I really want to bring my bass too. What do u guys think? I do have a pignose 30 watt amp thats small its not the usual guitar one its a bass one and its a little bigger and heavier its called the "HOG" i think. maybe i could bring that with my electric in its hardcase instead? What do u guys think? Thanks. I'm traveling alone too thats why im asking.

2. BassBrace James

BassBrace James JBH Enterprises / www.BassBrace.com

Jan 17, 2005
    Cookstown, Ontario
    I've been travelling with instruments for about 15 years - my advice; don't do it without a flight case - you likely will end up with a bag of splinters. There is also the possiblility of taking your instrument on as carry-on baggage. If you're an AFM member, there's a downloadable letter on their site from the TSA you can take to inform the airline people you meet that this is allowed (that is to take an instrument on as carry-on in addition to your regular carry on).

Maybe there's some place near you that rents flight cases?
    Best of luck - James

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    People have had mixed results with the airlines. So, my suggestions:

1. Get an ATA case for whichever bass you take.
    2. Get a small headphone amp and then you can avoid taking the acoustic. The Korg PX4B or PX3B are excellent practice tools. Plug in your and bass and a pair of headphones. The Korg units even have practice drum beats.

4. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    ha ha i just posted one of these :)

5. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I just flew to California last week, and I took my Ibanez on the plane as carry-on...it was fine. I left my Warwick at home though...I wasn't going to chance it. The guitar player in my band took one guitar as hand luggage and one as check in, and both were fine. I have a Gator flight case too but I decided the carry-on route this time.