Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taking your playing to the next level.

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by fly_mordecai, Mar 12, 2005.

1. :help: Im a 18 year old player who has been playing behind with my band for about 3 years, and has been playing for 4. I've allways tried to one up myself with every song, and play to my full ability. Ive allways been self taught, and am feeling like im starting to fall behind. The band is getting very technical, and though i am keeping up with whats going on in the songs, my playing isnt branching out. Ive never had alot of bass hero's or people to introduce me to diffent types of players, so if anyone has any links to pages of exersises, and techniques for speed and dexterity, or some cool bass players to check out, who have some amazing talent, it would be greatly apriciated if you would post some links below. Im also very intrested in learning sweeps! haha thankyou for taking the time to ready this.

2. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Jaco Pastorius
    Victor Wooten
    There are tons more. Those are just 2 of the most influential ones of today.
    Some other people are gonna say
    Stanley Clarke
    Marcus Miller
    Geddy Lee(of Rush)
    Stuart Hamm
    and others.
    But I think that you will want to check out Jaco first. Or if your not really into the whole Jazz thing yet.. You might want to check Rush out. Or maybe Yes. And after that you can prolly check out The Mahavishnu Orchestra or The Chick Corea Electrik Band. So that you can bridge into jazz nicely from those.
    BTW John Patituci plays some sick bass on The Chick Corea
    Electrik Bands new cd "To The Stars"
    Sorry just saw that you were asking to specific people. But I think this answer might be as good as theirs. So I am gonna leave it.

3. thanks! i will definetly check those dudes out! our band likes to get a little jazzy sometimes, check out www.purevolume.com/atextbooktragedy and listen to the track dance nils dance. We have a cool jazz break down.

4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    There's so much great music out there, fly, it's a little hard to know where to even begin. Fortunately we live in a time with some amazing resources. Internet radio, for instance, is a great place to hear music you might not be familiar with. My advice is to listen as much as you can and keep your ears, mind and heart open. Good luck!