1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tal & Jeff Beck in PA

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 3rdBass, Apr 7, 2009.

1. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

Much has posted been about Tal, but I want to add a quick review on seeing her live for the 1st time last night.

It was in Scranton, PA, their 1st gig after Jeff's induction into the R&R Hall of Fame last weekend. Beginning of a long tour for them.
    Small venue, but not sold out, mezzanine row B seats. Terrific sound mix, opening act Davy Knowles of Backdoor Slam did a short acoustic solo set.

Tal was everything I'd imagined her to be, competent, in pocket, intuitive, alert, but not necessarily brilliant during her solo on "Cause We've Ended As Lovers". Didn't notice her "locking" with Vinnie Colaiuta as much as expected, but he's all over the map with his rhythms, as are many of the songs.
    On their second of three encores, Jeff had her open with an improvised solo and he joined in, plucking & fretting her "E" string on the neck while she solo'd higher up on the remaining 3 strings. Now, THAT was fun ! I must admit she's a joy to watch, almost as much fun as she herself obviously is having.

My only regret was her sound from the EBS stack didn't carry up into the house. Most of the mid & higher tones were lost in the subs and stood out only during her solos. Interesting that neither she or Jeff used wireless units.

All-in-all though, a thoroughly rewarding and fullfilling experience seeing a true guitar hero with a young & gifted player. Prompted me to purchase the live DVD taped @ Ronnie Scott's last year.

Bravo, Tal and kudo's to Jeff for his induction & choice of backup.

2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the review. I'll be seeing the Thursday show in NYC.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I bought the Ronnie Scott's DVD last week...I have watched it twice. Very entertaining.
    I liked Tal's solo on "Cause We Ended As Lovers"...I would hope what you heard at your show was "different".
    The DVD has a killin' version of "Scatterbrain". "A Day In The Life" is also cool.
    I wouldn't expect anyone to really 'lock it down' with Vinnie. ;)
    Take "Stratus", for example: Tal pretty much sticks to the ostinato (& thus is "the time") which allows Beck & Vinnie to cut loose.
    ...and watching Beck play is amazing. The sounds he comes up with...it's in the hands. ;)

4. 3rdBass

oldrocker: you're in for a real treat. :D
    JimK: you're entirely correct about Tal handling the "ostinato" in most songs, allowing Vinnie the freedom to fill. I've viewed several different versions of Tal's solos, including the R&R Hall of Fame awards, her workshops and all the ones circulating on YouTube. I'm saving the DVD to watch when I can pay 100% attention for the duration. The one solo in PA was by no means disappointing or uninspired, but I've heard better from her. I'd still lay down my $$ to see him/ her/ them again. I could go on & on about Jeff being a true hero of mine since "Truth" but this site is about the bottom end. :smug:

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Cool. Thanks for the review. I just love her playing and tone with Jeff, and I agree that the way Vinnie is playing that gig, Tal's job is more to hold things together than to 'lock' with Vinnie. My guess is, Jeff told Vinnie to 'play like heck', since even for Vinnie, it's so overplayed as to be a little funny.

That's a bummer with Tal's tone in the house. That IMO is the number one disaster for electric basses that like a nice, full range tone with lot's of upper mids and treble in their tone. That tone is very difficult to punch out into the audience, and my guess is that most sound professionals don't take the time to do it correctly. Even with backline only gigs, it's simply amazing how much high end (from the upper mids on up) you have to crank into your sound to allow it to reach the audience in a balanced way through a mix.

I describe Tal's approach to soloing as a 'bass solo' versus the more refined 'bass solo as horn line' sort of thing that many of the more 'solo oriented' players do. I actually sometimes like this approach (i.e., regularly playing or at least implying the root and chord versus a more pure melodic or modal approach) to bass soloing more, especially in a more rock setting with limited comping by the rest of the band.

I find her solo on 'Because We've Ended....' to be almost perfect in execution, tone, and 'appropriateness to the context'.

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Usually Beck makes most of his bass players to keep things very simple. Surprising he is giving her as much space as he is.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 You can tell he just loves her. It's kind of cool. Almost like a dad very proud of his daughter sort of thing.

I saw that tour with Randy Hope Taylor. I'm sure he's a great player, but it was NOT happening. No chemistry with either Vinnie or Jeff IMO.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Beck previouly worked with Terry Bozzio; he must like those bombastic drummers.

9. Im so jealous-wish I was at the show

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Clive Chaman (on the 2 Jeff Beck Group albums) ain't scared! ;)

11. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Great show at Irving Plaza (NYC) last night.

Jeff, Tal and Vinnie played very well together. Jeff is relentless. He rocks non-stop, Vinnie is a amazing and Tal follows Jeff.

Jeff Beck is one of the very few guitar players that takes my attention away from the bass player at a show.

Small venue very good sound. Tal had monster tone that made it up to the surrounding 2nd floor overlook.

"A Day in the Life" was amazing. :hyper:

12. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Tim Bogert was an assertive bass player as well. Even Ron Wood on Jeff's 1st 2 records had a big part on bass.

13. 3rdBass

How'd the Philly & NYC shows go ? Any reports good/ bad/ indifferent ?
    Those with tix for upcoming gigs......BUY THE DVD ! You won't be disappointed.
    In Scranton, PA after Davy Knowles opened and intermission came, the house lights went up and the audience was instructed to look under their seats for a CD/ DVD (some kinda disc). If you were a winner you recieved a Panasonic (?) digital camera and a visit backstage for photos of Jeff & all.

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I saw Tal & Jeff in Milwaukke (Ieverything worked), I was standing in front of the stage like 3 feet away from Jeff. I have seen Jeff several times over the last 40 years, he just gets better. Your right it's in his hands. He came out for the encore and did these two solo things with the key player that were just lovely.

Off Topic;

It took me 45 minutes to realize I was standing next to Rick Nielson from Cheap Trick.

15. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Hey Jeff Beck fans...If you still get a chance to see him in the USA or elsewhere this summer, by all means do whatever you can to get the tix...the show is amazing...much better than I expected and I've seen him 12 times and had watched the Blu Ray DVD a few times as well as the Ronnie Scott Pub CD over a couple of dozen times . I also saw him in Milwaulkee and Beck was "on"...he was attacking his guitar more than I've ever seen-then going back to subtle tonal dynamics -then tearing into his strings and whammy bar again, wrenching sounds never heard before...and relentlessly pushing the band further on. The band had great Chemistry with Beck the obvious leader, but Vinnie very strongly establishing the percussion section. Jeff obviously seems to have adopted Tal like a daughter and gives her a lot of room to play in, though he has played with many other great bassists who have also played prominent roles with his bands- ie, Ron Wood, Clive Chaman, Tim Bogart, Stanley Clark, Pino Palladino, etc...but I agree that in spite of Randy Hope Taylor's prowess on bass, he did'nt solo as much as Tal (about 3 times Sat.), and I also agree that there did'nt "seem" to be as much "Chemistry" with Taylor and the rest of the band, but that's something that only the band knows about and we can't really infer that. I heard 3-4 new songs !! Can't wait for the new CD...you never know where he's taking us next. Peace...DAcat :cool:

16. I saw them last night at the 2nd of two sold out El Rey shows.

This was my first time seeing Jeff Beck or Vinnie live. Both were incredible. Vinnie's timing is super-human. I've never been a 'fan' of Jeffs (I was not that familiar with his music before), but I am a fan now. He is AMAZING!!!!!! Seriously amazing. I can't believe how expressive he is and so subtle. It's also very cool that he is so supportive of young up and coming talent.

This was my 3rd time seeing Tal this year. She always blows me away. The El Rey is not exactly known for great acoustics though. The bass didn't cut through like i've heard her before. Whatever she does during her solos (I see her either changing tone/pickups/or both) really brought out that great tone similar to the Crossroads DVD. During the non soloed parts, the bass sounded pretty muddy. I could still hear and see she was being her usual badass self, but all the notes didn't come through. The low end of the drums had the same mud problem. Jeffs guitar sounded just like it does on the Ronnie Scotts DVD. His sound was PERFECT.

Some nice icing on the Jeff Beck cake was when Joss Stone came out and sang a song with them. Later John Mayer came out and played a rocked out version of Manic Depresion.

The people in Oaktown are getting a treat tonight!!
    I think tonights the last show of the tour.

Overall it was a really great show. :hyper::bassist::D
    If any of you get a chance to see Jeff play with this particular band (Vinnie, Tal, and Jason), I HIGHLY reccomend it.

17. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I don't know you but I think we were about 6 feet away from each other. Great review, I think Turner Hall is an cool historic venue, very cool place to see Jeff in Milwaukee.

18. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Well, from where you describe where you were standing, we were either right next to each other like you said, or about 6 feet away from each other-we may have even talked...great show, huh?? Peace...DAcat :cool:

19. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Wow...What a treat to see him play with Joss Stone and John Meyer. What song did Joss sing-People Get Ready? Did they do Manic Depression by slowing it down in the middle part?? Peace...DAcat :cool:

20. Some of the show here I found