1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tal playing in NYC tonight

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fleabee, Sep 30, 2008.

1. According to her myspace page... 10-02-2008 21:45 at 55 Bar - WAYNE KRANTZ with KEITH CARLOCK and TAL WILKENFELD
    55 Christopher Street, New York, New York 10014

Someone get some video!!

2. Wish I could see it.

I'm sure this thread will inevitably slip into people saying she got the gig because she is a pretty girl.:rollno::scowl:

3. Indeed it will but I will still beg for more videos. Youtube has been at a lull with her stuff.

4. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Well..... :rolleyes:

5. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    umm... tonight? you mean Thursday.

6. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    She's an excellent player, without that looks don't count for anything.

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    This would be a great show. Can't wait to get back to the 55 Bar again someday.

8. My bad..Thursday

9. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Anyone going to this show?

10. I wish I was there :meh:

I'll be seeing her at the Key Club in November though :)

And Fleabee is right. We need more Tal video!

11. I traveled from Boston with a dear friend of mine to see the WK3. When we arrived, it was soon found out that there was a ticket pre-sale for the gig. Which to our dismay meant standing in the cold for a couple hours trying to get in, and catch as much of the gig as possible from outside the door. Close to 10 hours on a bus...to see NYC concrete!

All I know is what I did feel was incredibly warm and hit me DEEP. I can only imagine what it would have been like inside the bar.

It was very cool to hear Tal's sound in person. In my best attempt to put words to it...very hi-fi with emphasis on getting a sharp, almost slap like attack. And punchy as f*** lows.

On a side note, we met and conversated with many interesting characters, and spotted Will Lee talking to Tal between sets. Also, it was recommended that we hit up Fat Cats, which ended up being an incredibly cool jazz club with a smoking quartet/quintet.

Morale: If you want to see the WK3 in NYC, especially now that the gig has become something of a rare event, show up EARLY!

12. rythmicillusion....

Some of the best times i've had were actually not IN the clubs, but trying to get in :) It's its own kind of excitement. Not sure about that 10 hour bus ride though! hah

Sounds like you did a great job of making the most of it :bassist:

13. BassXGirl:

When traveling by bus from Boston to NYC, you have many choices. As my companion and myself are both broke college aged peoples, we of course went for the lowest bidder. You know, the bus line where a driver will occasionally have a heart attack while driving and run off the road. And the seats are made of chewing gum.

How was that gig in Hollywood, btw?

14. haha...Well the good thing here it that reassured feeling you'd have in knowing that if the driver were to run off the road, you would stick securely to your seat :) "we don't want any flying bass players 'round here"

It was awesome. Tal, Keith and Wayne all sounded really good. I think Keith is one of my new favorite drummers. That guy has SUCH a good feel! Overall, seeing all those top players either playing on stage or just hanging out in the audience made it a pretty cool time. :)

15. I've had the privilege of seeing WK before (w/ James Genus and Cliff Almond) as well as Carlock (w/ Rudder). I went for too long without seeing that caliber of musicianship live...I think it really helps you playing to see and hear how it's REALLY done.

It seems to me that Keith always keeps a deep groove, even when the time gets convoluted or when he solos. I've been a big Carlock fan for several years now, and he continues to astound me. If you have the extra dough, "Greenwich Mean" and "Your Basic Live 03" by WK3 features tons of great Carlock stuff and some insane bass grooves.

16. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    10 hour bus ride? Round trip I hope. Did you take the Fung Wah or Lucky Star?

17. I saw Keith on the last Donald Fagan solo tour. He sounded amazing.

I heard through the grapevine that he is replacing Gadd on the James Taylor tour.

18. I only found out about these guys through listening to Tal. I'm so glad I did though. The Key Club was actually the 2nd time i've seen Tal and Wayne. The first time they had Cliff Almond on drums. Not knocking Cliff at all, but Keith got me fired up. I had a harder time trying to feel what Cliff was doing.

My wishlist of cds is getting outta control! :D

19. aikakone

aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Louisiana
    Ditto what BassXGirl wrote about Keith. He was amazing when he performed with Tal at Bass Player Live. (Wayne was great, too. Such a wonderful trio!) I was most impressed with the seeming ease that Keith handled all the different music. He made it seem easy. It wasn't, but I think it's the sign of a truly gifted performer to make things seem effortless.

20. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Although I have'nt heard the final details-I'd read that Tal will again be joining Jeff Beck and his band after his latest live CD and DVD release followed by a CD of all new material in the springon with a tour of Japan and Austrailia in Feb. and March...and then with a US tour likely to follow if/after Jeff is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame in April...keep your fingers crossed. Peace...DAcat :cool: