Tal replaced by Rhonda Smith for 2010 Jeff Beck tour...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeBass, Feb 9, 2010.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
  2. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    I went to music school with Rhonda Smith's older brother Chris, up here in Montreal. He's an arranger, conductor, and teacher. When we were both still in our twenties, he hired me to play in an amateur review/show that he was producing. He wanted to hire Rhonda, but she wasn't in the musician's guild yet, and the union was strict in those days.

I couldn't make one night of the show's run (prior commitment), and he sneaked Rhonda in as my replacement. When I returned for the last night, I asked how this "little sister Rhonda" had done. I got muted, evasive responses. But probing a little harder, it became clear that this (at that time) teenage girl had completely smoked me! :^D

Anyway, I only met her once. I got a vague sense that she has considerable self-respect! But she certainly has musical and bass skills to match. As long as ego doesn't enter too much into the gig, I bet she'll do an excellent job with Jeff Beck.

3. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    It's quite possible that Tal Wilkenfeld had prior engagements that prevented her from touring with him right now. A note on her website mentions something about going into the studio, though that message is 6 months old. I wouldn't read anything into it.

4. As I consider how long RS hanged with Prince, not to mention I really like her first solo album, this should be an interesting matchup.

But then, I'm the guy who likes change and new things (even though I'm going to sleep listening to the Motown channel tonight).

5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    I don't mean anything that Tal/Rhonda was better than the other, just putting it out there.

6. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    I heard the same thing, but the gal has the goods! I think, after Tal, Jeff probably appreciates another focal point on stage with him. THAT'S entertainment. I believe Tal will do just fine on her own for awhile... :smug:

7. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not just Tal is being replaced but the entire band.

8. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Tal's probably ready to get her own thing going for touring..

The new line-up looks to be very FUNKY indeed!

Can't wait!

9. I'm sure it's just the bass and drums being replaced...Keys are the same. I see them on March 30th...Yeehaa

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    tal's probably better off making a move. you can make way more as a bandleader than as a sideman.

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I wish I was Jeff Beck. :(

12. I wish there were lots more Jeff Becks too. But, Alas, he is one of a kind. Unique..

13. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Tal's doing some gigs with Oz Noy, another guitarist that always has monster bassist.;)

14. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Tal's too good for Jeff :)

15. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think Tal has some bigger stuff coming up.

16. bassdaddyfive

bassdaddyfive

Feb 12, 2009
    Kenosha Wi.
    Sometimes you go with who you can get. Schedules, schedules, schedules. Don't read into it more than what it is.

17. playing the kind of music she plays? i think id take a sideman job with jeff beck.

18. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i was kinda looking forward to seeing tal at bonnaroo

19. Surely you jest. I'm glad I don't have your ears. :rollno:
    Although, the misplaced loyalty to a fellow bass player is admirable.

20. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    No need to be mean in this forum. I was just joking. That's why I put a smiley.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021