Tal replaced by Rhonda Smith for 2010 Jeff Beck tour...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeBass, Feb 9, 2010.

1. My thought exactly, however I was warned by a mod for defending myself from someone who has basically made it his mission to follow me around and attack me personally and make s**t up about me. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Yes please :)
    :bassist:

2. Good gravy folks.......
    It's simple....

Jeff replaced Tal (and the rest of the band) for whatever reason.
    Maybe some couldn't do it.
    Maybe some didn't want to.
    Who knows.

So, Jeff replaced who he wanted- FOR WHAT EVER REASON!

So, is Prince better than Tal is better than Rhonda is better than BassXGirl is better than me is better than blah blah blah.....

Man, this place is getting nutty!

3. agreed....it's not like these projects are meant to last forever....i'm sure beck has a list of people he'd like to work with,and availability is the determining factor.....nothing sinister

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    ya, we can only wish it was sinister, but that's what it comes down to most of the time...availability.

btw, you know the music business is taking a giant hit when one of the biggest producers out there is taking a gig with jeff beck.

5. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    you should see Michael Rhodes play with oz noy...wow!

6. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009

I think too that Michael Walden just enjoys playing. By the look on his face when he's behind the drums, he seems to squeeze joy out of every beat. He and Beck have a relationship that goes back to the mid 70's, and it must be a blast to be on stage together.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    well there are way worse gigs than the jeff beck gig for sure. but it's still roadwork, and roadwork is not fun when you're used to driving to a studio every day and sleeping in your own bed.

i wonder how much jeff gets a night now...

8. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    He must being alright, you just know it's not cheap to get Vinnie on the road either.

9. HeyyyyyJoe

HeyyyyyJoe Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was there Friday night at Madison Square Garden and yes it was Rhonda and Narada with Jeff Beck and they were sick.

As far as Claptons band goes, yeh they were pretty dull.

10. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That's not my definition of good bas splaying at all. Most of the bass players I admire would never dream of taking a solo. Also, there's a world of difference between someone who can play over changes and someone who creates the changes. In my opinion, Prince is on a different level musically than any sideman, er I mean sideperson, in any band. it's analogous to the difference between a carpenter and an architect.

11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    It's all subjective. Your point is well taken. :)

12. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Which CD are you speaking of ?? Peace...DAcat :cool:

13. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Beck released a 'official bootleg' from his site awhile back, it had Beck, Vinnie, Palladino & Rebello.

14. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    "there's a world of difference between someone who can play over changes and someone who creates the changes"

As Chet Atkins used to say " When I make a mistake, it's intentional." That was a great line to use when accidentally venturing off a chord chart. Just for some variation, I wish I'd said " I'm creating my own changes."

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Welcome to the club Kim.

Yes it is.

Getting? :)

16. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    At first I thought that you were referring to the "Live at B.B. King's Blues Club & Grill - Jeff Beck CD" also released in 2006 which only included keys and Drums and Beck on guitar....but as I read my other CD I realized that indeed Pino was on the "Official Bootleg CD"also from 2006 as well as some "string players"...Peace...DAcat

17. wade_b

wade_b

Jul 8, 2008
    This sums up my own feelings on the subject quite nicely.

18. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    To think Prince wouldn't be able to solo over changes while playing bass is imo pretty ridiculous. But this whole thread has become pretty ridiculous.

19. wade_b

wade_b

Jul 8, 2008
    That's right: he claims to be proficient on over 1, 000 instruments.

It must be true: he said so himself.

MythBuster's should run an episode on the guy.

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You talk about the man like he stole your bass or something.:D

You are actually pretty funnny.:smug:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021