Tal replaced by Rhonda Smith for 2010 Jeff Beck tour...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeBass, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Wow .. Narada Walden.. I haven't heard from him in decades.. I'm sure he has been around though... it's probably been me .. LOL

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  3. billy ayers

billy ayers

Feb 1, 2009
    indeed, maestro Cheese! great video interview. what a beee-autiful voice she has!

4. I haven't seen them live, with Tal or with Rhonda, but I will tell you that the few vids I have seen with Rhonda and Walden rellay show what a huge difference the band makes, especially on the older tunes. I know I am gonna take some flak for this, but I gotta say, Tal just plain bored me. Rhonda has way more feel and reintroduced the funk back into these songs....just my 2 cents.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm glad I found the Bass Frontiers video interview for sure. When I first read that she was from Halifax, Nova Scotia, I figured she was descended from American Slaves who had aided the British during the Revolutionary War. What she said about her birth community tends to reinforce my assumption.

I also found her statements about Prince as a bassist illuminating. The man is a great funk/pop bassist. My guess is that he does not have true jazz chops, but he would probably embarrass most any bassist who tried to out funk him.:bassist:

Needless to say, Rhonda herself, is a worldclass talent on bass.:bassist:

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hey Tal changed her hair color.

:)

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

It's striking how big that Jazz looks when she is playing it!:D

8. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, I know he plays guitar well and transferring at least that little bit of knowledge to play over changes on bass wouldn't be that difficult.

We get it you don't like Prince but not believing the guy has some talent just because he has an ego is a bit ludicrous. But that's your opinion though so that's fine.

I have seen him play guitar, piano and drums with a fair amount of skill though. He was amazing when he performed on the Tonight Show last year.

Arguing over Prince is dumb. The guy's an amazing talent whether he says so or others do.

9. I think Jeff Beck is too loose and non-centered in his playing and he goes to places with the lead that just don't make sense to me.

Most of his "music" is in his head - and I know here come da flames - but I give him a total of 2.5 music points

1 ~ for style,
    1.5 ~ for technique and
    0 ~ for dance-ability.
    .............since I cannot hear - nor appreciate his internal muse.

Tal plays the bass like a never-ending orgasm and I have tried to watch her from afar since there's no way I could ever aspire to reach her heights in several lifetimes.

I don't know this young upstart female bass player Rhonda Smith, but if she's good enuff to be on a world tour, I don't want to see it.

It might cause me to take up kazoo lessons. :bag:

10. At 40 years old and 10 years playing with Prince, Rhonda Smith is hardly an "upstart"

For me, as far as playng style goes...

Tal = zzzzzzzzzzzz
    Rhonda = !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

12. If Prince and Jeff Beck got in a knife, who would win, Tal or Rhonda?

13. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    There's more than one way for a player to be good, eh?

I've got Tal's Transformation and Rhonda's Intellipop. Both are good--in completely different ways.

And I'm copping things off both, for my own trick bag. :cool:

14. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Did Prince really play the bass on 777-9311? That was BAAAAAD. If that was really him, color me impressed. I always assumed it was Terry Lewis.

Here's a quote I liked from wikipedia:

15. I always thought it is was Prince. That song is a jam!

16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    laughing_so_hard_hes_crying1.gif

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    you must be under 20. jeff beck is a legendary guitarist who follows his own muse and couldn't give a crap about yours or anyone else's.

18. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    +1. Jeff's SOUND and expressiveness... was soooo far beyond Jimmy Page or anybody else at the time, he changed how the electric guitar was played after him.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    +1 to you, too. jeff was huge while jimmy page was playing rhythm on "it's not unusual" with tom jones ;)

20. billy ayers

billy ayers

Feb 1, 2009
    not sure if jennifer batten is onboard with JB this time around.. i'm assuming not.. but, THAT was an extremely potent combination! a master class in extended techniques and road-wise soul... she's amazing, and deserves all the benefits of a big-profile bandleader career, should she choose it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021