Tal replaced by Rhonda Smith for 2010 Jeff Beck tour...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeBass, Feb 9, 2010.

1. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

I was really excited to see Rhonda with Jeff Beck on the first show of the tour in San Francisco. Once they went on sale and I saw they were $78 before the online "processing" fees, or whatever they call it, I had to sadly pass. As an unemployed 18 year old, I didn't feel like spending all of my money on one concert. A bit pricey if you ask me. I can't justify spending that much money on one ticket, but that's just me. It looks like that show is sold out now, so oh well. Really a shame, I was hoping to see this excellent lineup.

2. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    I know we are supposed to get beyond the simpleton thinking but gawd damn is Rhonda hot.

3. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    The latest issue of Rolling Stone has an excellent interview with Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck. They're doing a short tour together, and they sit down & talk about their past, their views of each other, etc. It's very nice to see the mutual admiration, especially for two gunslingers with such different styles. The Yardbirds story is fascinating, how Clapton, then Beck, then Page all came to play with them.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Painful song to watch people struggle on... almost a painful as drummers trying to cop the drum machine lick.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    You mean he didn't?

Guess I lost that pool.
    :meh:

6. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I dug Beck's playing with Yardbirds. That was during my...uh...formative years.

7. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    There were a few Yardbird songs in my first bands play-list because the older cats that mentored us back then were totally into the Yardbirds. New York City Blues, Mister Your A Better Man, Train Kept A-Rollin'[pre-Aerosmith], it's funny how this stuff stays with you.

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I just watched this Rhonda Smith interview:

Wherein she says of Prince "wow, what a great bass player."

9. Vinnie is replaced by Narada? wow I say

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Thank you Jimmy.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Another Rhonda interview:

12. Listened to some U tube clips.....don't think Tal has much to worry about!:D

13. bass12

bass12 Turn up the Eagles - the neighbours are listening Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    It was actually Rhonda who hipped me to GCS years ago by lending me one of those tapes she was talking about in that interview! At the time I'm sure she never guessed that she'd ever be playing on stage with the man himself...

14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Yeah, looks like she got some stage presence lessons too, her body movements seem to be in synch with the groove she's playing and that strut she does...ooo la la...;)

15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Oh my...

16. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    777-9311 was recorded for the album at Prince's home studio in May-June 1982, the song was produced, arranged, composed and performed by Prince with Morris Day later adding his lead vocals.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    prince is a good bass player if you like slappity poppity. not crazy about his sound, but he's got some chops and he's solid. he hung in there and didn't embarrass himself with larry graham on prince's nye 2000 special.

18. It's sorta comparative.

Me YOB= 1946.

Therefor by rule of MY thumb, anyone born after 1960 is a young whippersnapper.

But, yeah - it was a funny.

19. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Yup, Prince did all the parts.

In fact, going back to the comment that started the whole "does Prince have bass skills" question, particularly the thought that somebody else was "under the stage" playing his bass lines.... Prince WAS that guy when Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis didn't make it to a Time show. Prince played bass backstage while someone else (St. Paul Peterson if memory serves) faked it on stage.

20. billy ayers

billy ayers

Feb 1, 2009
    if memory swerves, i recall that prince played bass on sheila e's track "a love bizarre".. that's a sinewy-cool long track with great stuff on the bass end.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021