Tal replaced by Rhonda Smith for 2010 Jeff Beck tour...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeBass, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    This guy makes it painfully clear, but he did a good job breaking it down:

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    When 777-9311 was a hit,I remember knowing and seeing several drummers actually play the drum line and nail it.

I think one of the reasons a lot of guys were able to nail it was that they had no clue that it was a drum machine.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    :D

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    machines have often pushed unsuspecting players to get better. think about the 1920's when pianists would hear a player piano doing outrageous stuff and want to copy it. same thing now except not nearly as cool as a player piano.

5. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009

Sure.......... and Led Zeppelin was a huge commercial flop too?

It's no accident that Page was one of the world's most requested session guitar players BEFORE Zeppelin. Beck admitted that himself in his biography.....he would have loved to be in Page's shoes.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    first off, page was one of england's most requested session players, not the world's most requested. second, page was never famous until zeppelin. the yardbirds were done by the time page joined. so i stand by my statement, and i reject yours.

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    1) OK, England's most requested. Being #1 studio player in England during the British invasion got him a little notoriety , I'd think.

2) The Yardbirds were done when Page left. If you're talking about when their popularity peaked, that's a different point. See Beck's autobiography and Yardbirds documentary VCR as reference.

3) Putting down Jimmy Page because he played on Tom Jones' "It's not unusual " is pretty narrow minded. whatever

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    1. being a session musician today brings you a little notoriety. only a little, though. being a session musician in the 60's meant nobody ever heard of you and you were never credited on any recordings for anything.

2. i meant done in the "not selling very well anymore" sense. all the hits they had that still get played were done with beck, and clapton to a lesser extent.

3. waaaaaaahhhh, he made a joke about jimmy page! come on, enough with the righteous indignation...it comes off so bad on the internet ;)

listen, all 3 yardbird guitarists are great in their own ways. but jeff beck can do pretty much any type of music you throw at him, including jazz, and i think he's a better guitarist than page. and so do page and clapton.

9. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    When you compare Jimmy Page to truly accomplished guitarists like his childhood buddy Albert Lee, or modern marvels like Brent Mason, he is pretty average. As a bandmemeber/song writer he was great, but let's not confuse the two.

Are we off topic? Unbelievable!

10. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    It wasn't a joke you made, it was a dumb statement. Of course you're entitled to do that :).

I definitely agree with you that all 3 Yardbird guitarists were great in their own ways. I don't like the "who's better" arguments, as we all use different rulers to measure by.

King _ Biscuit,

As long as we can connect the dots on these posts, I don't think it's too far off topic.

Ok, let's try to pull this back to the "Ronda replaces Tal" theme.

Uh....let's see.......what kind of strings does Ronda use?

11. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    LOL :D ...Peace...DAcat :cool:

12. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I dunno, but they are WAY BETTER than whatever strings Tal uses!!!! :bag:

[P.S.: That was a joke.]

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

GHS.

14. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    yup, I remember that bass line well! now let me go see if I can youtube it. Darn you!:D

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    that's right. except for the dumb part. i thought it was pretty darn witty. i guess there's no accounting for taste.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

17. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa

18. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    More of her.

19. jamesie

jamesie

Jan 11, 2009
    thanx very much

oh yes, she can play

now i know i like the staccato51 more than the rh 450 :)

20. "G" strings:D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021