Tal replaced by Rhonda Smith for 2010 Jeff Beck tour...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeBass, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    I'm sorry for the "dumb statement" comment.

What was REALLY going on back then is about as clear as mud.

I was re-reading the chapter about the time period involving both Beck and Page between the dismantling of the Yardbirds, the early days of the Jeff Beck Group, and the beginning of Led Zep.

Now according to Beck, he says that the JBG was getting no respect or radio time in England and needed to tour the USA to be successful. Beck claims his band was struggling just to eat and that they were living in poverty " we could only afford one set of clothes to take on the road with us". Beck blamed much of their lack-of-exposure and success failures under the poor "bubblegum" management of Micky Most. Beck was contemplating leaving the music business and going into modeling.

During that same period, Jimmy Page was raking in the dough as a studio player even while the Yardbirds were deteriorating. When the JBG went to the US to open for acts like The Grateful Dead, they finally got recognized. They really started kicking butt when dumping M. Most and hooking up with Peter Grant. Seeing Beck's recent rise to fame, Page was following the JBG around and taking notes about what was working, and used those ideas to form the foundation of LZ, even being accused by JB of stealing styles such as "You Shook me" from the Truth album. For Beck, the rags to fame time period happened within about 6 months during 1968. Page didn't hit bottom like Beck did, success wise.

Anyway, from what I get from this transition period is that the story changes depending on who is being interviewed. It's another debate that goes unresolved.

Moscow bass: Thanks for the visual on the "G" string :D

What I look forward to hearing is Rhonda's approach on a tune like " cause we've ended as Lovers". I liked Tal's well exposed Crossroads solo and thought it had a nice emotional intensity to it. I'm guessing Rhonda plays a cool groove on this.....I'm curious to hear it.

2. bass12

bass12 Turn up the Eagles - the neighbours are listening Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Just for the record, it's "Rhonda" with an "h". ;)

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    ooops. I fixed it. Thanks :cool:

4. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I always thought Beck's Truth album and band were the template for Led Zeppelin in so many ways.

5. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Its interesting: in 16 pages containing 304 posts, this thread went from Tal vs. Rhonda to Beck vs. Page. We even got some Prince (The Man Who Would Be King) vs. Pallin (The Woman Who Would be Queen).

Here's what I thinK:

> Page can't play Beck as well as Beck plays Beck.
    > Beck can play Page as well as Page plays Page.
    > Beck can't move around the stage while playing like Page does.
    > Vai can play better than Beck and Page combined and Vai moves around way better than Page.
    > Tal can't play Rhonda as well as Rhonda plays Rhonda.
    > Rhonda might be able to play Tal as well as Tal.
    > Beck probably replaced Tal with Rhonda becuse he wants to move from a jazz/rock fusion sound to a funk/rock fusion sound.
    > Tal and Rhonda are in the top 10% of current pro bass guitar players in the world who are also good live performers.
    > I'm in the bottom 10% of ex pro bass players. :spit:

6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    777_9311

Bass-Prince

every other instrument-Prince

the kick and snare are a drum machine, cymbals are live played by prince.

I still can't cop that bassline correctly...

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I agree, but as soon as you bring Vai into the mix, I don't agree ;)

Personally I like Paul Gilbert better, he smokes just about every player when they all play at NAMM. If you want the Vai comparison, you gotta step it up ;)

8. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

"Lets Work".....Prince-bass

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You beat me to it, Mike!;) "Let's Work" is so incredibly funky.:bassist: To me, Prince gets overlooked as a monster slapper. I always loved it that the he regularly slapped with intervals other than octaves. Although I really can't get "Let's Work" 100%, I think he slaps alot of sevenths and fifths on that song.

10. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    OK, *(kind of)* off topic, but I saw Wesfest 5 last night, a bunch of cool acts, with Tal's band as the headliners. Bryan Beller played with a lot of the bands, notably I, Claudius (awesome sludgey bass and guitar)! Orlando Sims played a nice (2-band I think) Stingray with Ali Handal, very funky.

Tal sounded great, and she obviously loves playing. She's a well rounded player, I think her strongest points are her touch and her great sense of rhythm in some brutally odd-meter tunes. Vinnie Colaiuta was burning as always. Man, to play with him, everybody in the band needs to be the time-keeper, he sure does play around with the time...

Oz Noy is such a great guitarist, but he seems painfully shy, hiding behind his TWO music stands the whole set. Tal had to drag him to the front of the stage to take a bow at the end.

Anyway, a great night of music.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is a slowed down tutorial for "Let's Work." For those who don't know Prince, this is a good example of how innovative his slap work was in the early to mid 1980s.

12. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    What is the name of Tal's band?

13. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    They just called it The Tal Wilkenfeld Band. Not sure if this lineup will be touring or if it was a one-time thing.

14. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Thank you. :)

15. 78Jazzlover

78Jazzlover

Aug 14, 2008

I'm afraid I have to agree to a large degree with this. She is talented, and a very very good bassplayer. But she has also been able to noodle herself into the top pro world socially because of her young good looks and young vibe friendliness. I've seen it at work. Its fresh, attractive, and fun to many sidemen and band leaders I'm sure. You cannot disregard this one non- musical factor she has going. Its an edge that other players simply cannot ever have. Is it fair? Nope. Neither is getting a gig because you know someone since childhood, or are a relative, but it happens. She is a fine bassist, but she has made the fast track into stardom for more than musical reasons:

She's been given fast- track access.

I like Rhonda , she is soulful, exciting, seasoned, technically very good and has an edge I dont hear in Tal. Thats just my taste. Few players that I've heard can out- do Rhonda in her element, I've heard many more traditional Jazz/fusion players smoke Tal in her's. Again, my opinion. Rhonda has been around playing all sorts of gigs for a long time and needs to be recognized more IMO.

16. SpasticFingers

SpasticFingers

Mar 2, 2010
    I'm sorry but I'll have to accept the verification that Tal's musical accomplishments were well earned by the endorsements of Chick Corea, Jeff Beck, and Herbie Hancock - and by my own ears as well. I find a quality in her work that's uniquely inventive.
    As for timing - you've revived a thread that's about 6 months old and effectively trashed Tal less than 24 hours after she announced that she's withdrawing from the next leg of Herbie Hancock's tour due to an undisclosed injury.

17. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I believe she's on tour with Herbie Hancock, so I'll see her in tandem with Vinnie this month. I'll report in.

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    No, you won't be seeing her.

19. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Who's playing?

20. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    I just found the clip from last night's Letterman Show. Is that James Genus on the tour?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 27, 2021