Tal replaced by Rhonda Smith for 2010 Jeff Beck tour...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeBass, Feb 9, 2010.

1. 78Jazzlover

78Jazzlover

Aug 14, 2008
    Oh, sorry. I didnt know there was a restriction in posting in an open forum based on what was happening with a player being discussed. :rolleyes:

Your post was unfortunately something I was resigned to having to read as inevitable...someone that only reads what you think or want to read. I said I thought she was talented and a very good bass player. I wrote it, you can read it *again* above in my previous post, and above in this post. I agree she has a style. Her being good enough to do the gig * has nothing to do with what I'm saying*.

There are plenty of people good enough to do the gig in the world. I repeat: she had fast- track access in addition to being good enough. You and others might then say "so what?" Thats fine.

If it means nothing or says nothing to you then no problem.

2. mulchor

mulchor

Apr 21, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    Video killed the radio star.

I find a musician being sexy cute only enhances my appreciation of them. :D

Wilkenfeld's impressed me, altho I've only heard her recorded. Something about a dropped amp? Hope she gets healed completely and quickly.

3. SpasticFingers

SpasticFingers

Mar 2, 2010
    IIRC, Chick Corea hired her (her first real break) after HEARING a tape sent to him, not seeing her, but lets forget that...
    We agree that she's got style, and there are countless bass players that can play well enough to sit in with great known musicians. Personally, I'm of the opinion that Tal's skills on the fretboard are not what sets her apart - I think she's relatively ordinary - perhaps somewhat exceptional for a woman of her years, BUT... she's got something in the way she plays that is totally unique. Its a lyrical quality that few others have. She'll play one tenth the notes that Rhonda Smith plays, but I like those fewer notes and what they're saying MUCH better. For THIS reason - having NOTHING to do with her physical appearance - I believe that she will go onto a successful recording career of her OWN music - not just as a sidekick. The fact that she looks great doing her own music just gives her a better chance at marketing that material (everything is in the packaging these days) :)
    I should also say that being much older than Tal, its great to see people of a younger generation being attracted to music that much of her generation is otherwise ignoring. It confirms something about the universality of good music, and how it transcends time. All told, I believe she's the complete package - enough technical skills, plenty of writing skills, a great work ethic and an impeccable stage presence.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I wouldn't say "replaced".
    He just hired someone else for the 2010 tour that's it.
    It's not like he is running a "band", is it?

5. mulchor

mulchor

Apr 21, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    This resonates with me, too.

I don't, however, have faith in universality of good music. Jazz has basically died out, and at least in previous generations I think there was good music therein.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band remains as my best hope for the next generation in the US. :bag:

6. 78Jazzlover

78Jazzlover

Aug 14, 2008
    Again, if you think you or I can send a tape to Chick out of the blue and he will even listen to it without introduction you are dreaming. You tell the story half way in. She got a serious introduction from someone who Chick will listen to to begin with. Thats something that came from a line of connections and introductions and networking and social situations first, not JUST the notes she plays. If you really think she got to where she did being a very young , very cute networking socializing female not anywhere in the MIX you are dreaming IMO.
    Again, she is a very good bass player and musician and can obviously do the gigs. Some people can only hear a message with one (1) focal point - I dont know why.

Why fight this? Its everywhere in entertainment. Its a fact of human nature. Why do you think these musicans are different..because they are "jazz" musicians and have a higher more pure idealized ethic? You dont think that some musicians, many musicians, also like the pizzazz, the intrigue, the personality, the freshness, the newness, the attractiveness of a new player with her non- musical talent? Do you really think that a fat , bald, 70 year old , slightly goofy man who plays the exact same notes the same way would have got the gig over her? Even if just for stage presence and band image she may have an edge over other great players alone. This happens all the time. Many people think because its serious jazz music it CANT lol.

She can be a great player and have had fast- track access at the same time. Its actually possible:) IMO, probable.

7. mulchor

mulchor

Apr 21, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    Honestly, I think any suggestion that a female has it quick and easy in the world of playing bass (or guitar or drums) is really misguided.

8. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Oh, sorry! I didn't read the post ahead of mine that said that she'd withdrawn from the tour. I was a couple of pages back. My bad....

9. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Seriously. I mean, have you ever seen the band Mountain? Those guys are ugly as sin. There's no way any record company would touch those guys with a ten foot pole these days.

10. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    Back in the day....half the time you didn't even know what the musicians looked like. It was all about the music most of the time except for maybe the pop stuff. It was almost an exception to the rule back then if you were in those bands and incredibly good looking. I have to say Tal is cute....Rhonda is sultry and they can both play their butts off as well.

11. 78Jazzlover

78Jazzlover

Aug 14, 2008
    Again this is over- simplification. They have to be good enough..and thats not quick and easy.In her case, it was pretty quick considering her age. She fast - tracked over other qualified players because of other factors in the ***MIX***.

It happens all the time to different degrees. Nothing new here.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021