1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tal Wikenfeld

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RotoRick, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RotoRick

RotoRick

Jul 20, 2012
    I had to chuckle when I see all the threads on here of people worshipping Tal Wilkenfeld. Don't get me wrong she has immense talent and I will buy her first solo cd and her new one as well.

My point is she should be as good as she is, her musical career was handed to her on a golden platter. How many of you could say that your parents would let you quit school at 16, fly to LA from her country or wherever you live alone, then agree to plunk down 18 grand per year for at least 2 or 3 years for you to go to music college ?

Then go to NY and be introduced to the best musicians around. I also think being a girl has alot to do with the introductions and their desire to let her tour with them.

I guess i would be more impressed if she learned bass on her own like alot of us have to instead of getting the red carpet treatment right from the start.

In my humble opinion some of the best out there never went to music college, slash, Eddie VanHalen, Chris Squire, Original bass player from the Doobie Brothers and so on. I realize that music college doesn't guarantee you will be great, but it should, i mean what else do you have to do except sit around and practice 10 hours a day then go to class.

Self taught musicians always impress me most, they learn by trial and error as to what works and what doesn't, i think the lessons learned stick with you better that way and also prove your desire to be great by the time you put into it. Nothing makes me happier than to go to some battle of the bands and see some self taught bass player or guitarist blister some Berkley or Musicians Institute graduate.

Again, not hating on her by any means, i think she is great, cute and talented and look forward to what she will do next, but when you are taught by the best you should be the best.

2. i could not agree more. she should be the best! and i agree with everything you just said completely. the thing is, we all know how hard it is to make it as a musician, how difficult it is to make a living, to get by... nearly impossible. and the honest truth is, i know alot of incredible musicians that should be that successful but they aren't. and that's a real shame. i have to admit that it would've been nice to have that kind of support when i was coming up. but to be totally honest, i am happy and proud of the paths i have traveled on my musical adventure. i wouldn't change a thing, in fact. i really don't believe you have to have the expensive formal education to be the best, the way things are these days, it IS possible to learn all the academics without paying the tuition, IF you are dilligent. and nothing beats ambition, practice and experience.

3. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    She is a UNIQUE talent.
    You have to be honest with yourself.
    I for one am not uniquely talented.

Seth Miller likes this.
  4. RotoRick

RotoRick

Jul 20, 2012
    I agree with you too, maybe I am just jealous that i can't even afford lessons right now, i'm doing it all myself in my room with study books and free online lessons and lots of practice.

I want to give a big shout out to all of you on this forum who also help me out alot without even knowing it by things you say, information you give to me and clips you post on lessons or just anything that is informative, it has helped me out considerably, so to you I say a big Thank You !

5. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    NC
    Endorsing: Fodera, DR Strings
    honestly i dont think shes that good.....shes cute..but thats about in my opinion lol

6. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    I completely disagree with your logic on comparing Tal's educated musical background to the likes of Slash or Eddie Van Halen. Tal is a jazz musician, jazz is an intense genre if music which requires years of training various skills. I bet if you put some modern jazz tunes in front of Eddie or Slash neither of them could play through the chord changes.

Seth Miller likes this.
  7. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    good player, cute to some. too young to have musical and physical maturity yet.

8. RotoRick

RotoRick

Jul 20, 2012
    I disagree, peole are always saying that Slash and Eddie only know what they know, but when you make the kind of music they do, they can play anything they want.

Remember, Eddie started out on piano then drums then guitar, also, he can make any jazz guitarist look like a clown, so can Slash.

In College they teach you their way of holding the guitar or bass, how to strum their way, how to mute their way, when you practice 10 hours a day in your basement you learn what works for you, you develop your own style and way of doing things and that makes you better than the cookie cutter graduates of music college.

People who teach themselves and become succesful do so because of one big reason, a tremendous ear for music and you can't be taught that at school, you either have it or you don't.

9. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    This should be good. /grabs popcorn

Seth Miller likes this.
  10. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I don't know if Slash could but I'm pretty sure that Eddie could with his classical training.

As far as Tal goes. I'm looking forward to hearing what she's doing 10 years from now. I've got her solo record and the DVD of her supporting Jeff Beck and while she's a good player in support of Mr. Beck, her solo outing shows her age a bit. Is it way better than anything I could have done at her age when it was released, no doubt, but it is what it is. I look forward to hearing how her playing changes as she gets more life experience under her belt.

BTW - I don't begrudge her opportunities, I didn't get them but we can only play the cards we've got.

11. RotoRick

RotoRick

Jul 20, 2012
    Her first solo cd sells for like 23.00, is it worth it ?

12. RotoRick

RotoRick

Jul 20, 2012
    Thats funny

13. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Transformation is the one that I have and I wouldn't pay that for it but I got it for a lot less on iTunes and it was worth that for sure. Somewhere around $10 I think.

14. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Slash is no slouch-- look at his music he's not always in pentatonic minor or E maj.

Fortunately for her Tal rode in on a flying carpet but I'm not mad, only happy for her.

We're discussing how she arrived; maybe we should understand why.

15. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    IBTL

16. younggun

younggun

Jul 19, 2008
    San Antonio
    Is Tal talented and has she put time into her instrument? Yes. Does her talent and experience rate the success she has garnered? No.
    The music industry (even Jazz), for the most part is show business, so of course it helps if you're young, cute, have a boob that flops over your bass, and you get to know the right people.
    Musical knowledge and talent have nothing to do with making it in the music industry. There are far far better musicians and players than Tal out there who haven't had her opportunities...and that's what it comes down to, opportunities. Some people hit the lottery, or are born as a Rockefeller.
    Its nothing to be bitter about though, it is what it is, and life isn't always fair.

17. conebeckham

conebeckham

Jun 27, 2008
    Bay Area CA
    Tal's young, for sure, and there's no doubt that her gender and attractiveness play a part in her success. And yeah, she's had some opportunites that others haven't....

But.....she's got more "feel" and musicality than a ton of male Berklee grad bass players, in my opinion. And I'd agree with ChetChetney. The type of music she's making requires more theoretical knowledge than what Slash and Eddie are doing.

I mean, seriously.....some of the great Jazz musicians were self-taught, for sure, and didn't read music, but "playing the changes" is something I don't think most rock musicians can do without a great deal of work. Could Eddie and Slash do it, with a great deal of study and practice, on their own or in school? Sure! It's not rocket science. But it's a hell of a lot harder than playing three chord rock and roll, or even hammer-on-tapping-arpeggiated guitar solos. Put a Real Book down in front of Slash or Eddie, count off four at a good clip, and ask them to blow 4 choruses of "Autumn Leaves" and see what happens.

Maybe I'm wrong. But in any case, let's see what Tal's playing when she's Eddie's (or Slash's) age, and has that life experience under her belt. I'd bet you she's going to Kill It.

18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I should grow a right boob. Just one.

19. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Well, she must be doing something right to have hooked up with the people she's played with. Prop's to her!

20. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.