1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tal Wilkenfeld Band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by peledog, Aug 10, 2012.

1. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Just saw them earlier at the Anthology in San Diego.

Pretty amazing, and different stuff than from her solo album. More rock, fusion, drum and bass and experimental. Plus she sang most of the songs.

She played 5 different basses during the show. 3 were Sadowskys, the other two were Gibsons.

Vinnie Colaiuta was rock solid. Tal continues to expand her musical palette. I genuinely enjoyed the show and she was gracious enough to snap a pic with me. Oh, and I snagged her set list. :D

Her bass lines supported the songs as needed, and then she would venture on short solos, one song was just her on bass and vocals. Sadowsky 5er strung EADGC with a capo. She sings with great feeling and overall she's a pretty good singer. It was a joy to watch her sing and play some complicated stuff - very fusion rock mixed with a bit of electronica.

The songs have not been released as of yet - so, in effect, this was her first solo show (with the her band) and she showcased all her new material. Great fun.

2. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Sounds exciting. Bet she won't come to Norway tho

3. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Way cool! Please post the pic of you and Tal. I hope she comes to the Bay Area. Saw her with Jeff Beck and she was amazing. Great she has a new album coming out.

4. Well, most probably to Copenhagen. She´s been there before. Du rejser ner till Skåne, kineser i min lejlighed, og sen tar vi S-toget till Köbenhavn og blir lykkelige allesammen!

(Please excuse the nordic lingo. But we´re Vikings You know) :ninja::D

5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Great opportunity, congrats!

6. IamJohn

IamJohn

Nov 26, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Cool man! Tal's a great player, and I'd love to see her live. She brought such a cool energy to the stage playing with Jeff Beck. Can't wait for a new cd!

7. AngryJohnny

AngryJohnny

Apr 23, 2010
    Indiana
    Cool man, been digging her solo album for years now & was wondering not too long ago if she had anything else in the works. Kind of excited to hear how she's progressed. Awesome player.

8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    How do you mean? I find that pretty surprising....

9. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    No pics, no Tal.

10. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  11. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Thanks a lot. I'll check it this evening, no FB at work.

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    There are only two shows listed on her web site. Hopefully there will be more forthcoming. That is a show I would not miss!

13. I was at the Roxy gig. Tal is kicking ass as usual. Her new stuff sounds very different from her first album and even though the styles varied, each song sounded like TAL. I love that about her. She's really finding/found her own voice.

She looked like she was having a great time singing and seriously just letting it all out up there. I can't wait to get the new CD when it comes out. :)

14. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    +1 Very happy for her :) I think she said she's going to Japan in October....so cool!!

15. Hello! Nice to see you again on TB. :)

16. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    You too :) BassXgirl!!
    @Peledog....great pic of you and Tal and I love the pro pics you posted too. She really looks so happy doing her thing!!!

17. Hope she comes to Michigan some time. I have seen her stuff with Beck. Her solo album was great!!! I want to see her live. I love her musical style. Unique (to me anyway) and she is awsome!! Defently one of my fav bassist.

18. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    What kind of Gibson was it? I'm looking forward to her new album. Almost sounds like prog rock jazz fusion.

19. McThumpenstein

McThumpenstein

Mar 22, 2012
    Michigan
    +1000