1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tal Wilkenfeld on Jimmy Fallen show.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Gawd, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Not sure if she's there for good with Roots or just sitting in, I had it on mute when he introduced her so I'm not sure. Anyone know?

2. But it sure is cool! What an awesome surprise!!

S E R E N D I P I T O U S .

3. Rats, beat me to it, it just came on here.

4. I just saw it and thought I'd drop it in here. She isn't on there permanently. The Roots plan on having a lot of other musicians come on and play with them.

There was a Q and A with them and they talked about it.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Sit in - Owen Biddle mentioned it here on TB a few days ago.

6. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    Tal Wilkenfeld is a fantastic bass player, saw her at the key club concert at Bass Player Live 2008 , she smokes. Not to take anything away from the Roots and their BP but,what she did with the band showed skill at another level.
    If she had that gig that band could really do major damage.

7. That's what I was thinking. ?uestlove and her were deep in the pocket, I didn't want them to stop.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I seriously do not believe she is on another level from the Roots as a whole. Owen Biddle is more of a support player, but the man has chops, and ?uestlove is as good a drummer as there is working in pop music.

9. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    To put this in a better perspective, what she added to the band was a style of bass playing that raised a another level of excitement to the band members.
    Do i think that her technical skills are a level above the band , "YES" and i stand by that 100%. Owen's playing seems to be solid for what he is doing , and ?uestlove is a solid groove master. The same would apply if they had Esperanza Spaulding sit in ,and even more Herbie Hancock. The Roots are from my hometown Philly and i have nothing but respect and support for them.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wait, is there a video for this?

11. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
  12. I cant watch it because Im not in the states.. I hope it gets onto youtube.

13. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    Unless pocket means something else Owen and ?uest were deep in the pocket and Tal was soloing over top.

14. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    The Roots are a Grammy award winning band with a 15+ year international career,what is the major damage that they could do that they need Tal to help them with? Tal can play and sounded good with the band but IMO she isn't at another level than the Roots,if you dig her just say that without diminishing someone else.

15. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
  16. What was Roots' bassist playing? To me it looked like a Valenti jazz bass but I could only go by the headstock shape. I couldn't see what it said.

17. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Any chance she'll be on again? I decided to turn off Jimmy Fallon last night...

18. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
    She's performing with The Roots and introduced briefly by Fallon during the beginning of the show. Tal's not a feature act on this episode - as a sit-in guest musician with the house band, she's only on for a few seconds when the band plays before and after commercials.

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's a Callowhill Junk.

20. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Oh, I see. Thanks.