1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tal Wilkenfeld: Sometimes It Takes a P-Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    It sounds even more like Alice in Chains on the record, to my ears. I had the same thought the first time I heard it.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  2. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    Unrelated to Tal, she's a great musician,but i always thought the sound of Peter Baltes from Accept had a great P bass sound from their balls to the wall tour..You hear it well in the intro.

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

She’s definitely getting there IMO.

All the talent and elements are present. She just needs to refine and pull it all together. It takes years to become a bona fide singer.

I have every confidence she will. She’s young enough that time is on her side. :)

FRoss6788 likes this.
  4. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Rrrrreeeoowwww... OptimalOptimus not the optimist. :smug:

5. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Wow... this thread is unreal.

FRoss6788 and DonBorelli like this.
  6. MasterMonkeyMan

MasterMonkeyMan Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Opinions are like P basses. Almost everyone has one! :)

7. Tommyc

Tommyc

Nov 11, 2015
    Midwest
    Clearly the hair is a large part of the branding going on here. And I wouldn't expect it to be going anywhere any time soon. Some may remember way back that when George Benson decided to vocalize he was skewered by the jazz community but I thought his vocals were as brilliant as his playing. These are less so. But to each his own. Now Esperanza Spalding, she's a genius.
    [​IMG]

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. dregsfan

dregsfan Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    Well...……. I don't know Alice, but I know I have some chain out in the shed...………………

Pretty "real" to me, Very cool.
    Seems like I've seen a lot of non-real crap being played over the past few decades :jawdrop:. This isn't some of it.

I'm just sayin', first she plays with Jeff Beck, and now I see her doing this. 2 thumbs up from me.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    rickdog, ak56, Runnerman and 2 others like this.
  9. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Has TB discussed how this particular haircut worked on Billy Sheehan's head back when he decided to sport it?
    Just checking.

I hope she keeps doing whatever she wants, and changes however and whenever she feels like it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  10. This is a "felt more than heard" bass voice. It works. I liked the song. That's all that maters to me.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. I'm just impressed and pleased to see a bassist leading a band.

Congrats Tal!

John

12. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    LOL...I think any bass with Tal Wilkenfield playing it is a slice of heaven. This song doesn't do justice to what she can do but it still is very well done. :)

MasterMonkeyMan likes this.
  13. One of my favorite things about local music scenes is the support, respect, generosity, and acceptance among musicians. Much appreciation for those of you that demonstrated it here to Tal. I dig the authenticity of her music; I’m glad it’s out there; I’m rooting for her. Can’t wait to catch her live.

One of my favorite things about being Dad to my daughter is encouraging her to be bad-ass and courageous and persistent despite all the stupid sh*€ she has to try to ignore.

For f$%# sake, obtuse members of the TalkBass bonehead subcomittee.... Yer not funny. Yer not witty. Yer not generous and enlightened to have not said worse. Learn to shut yer gapin’ pie holes before ya meet a Dad like me in a bar sometime, or you’ll get a chance to help me rearrange some furniture.

14. I dig it

15. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Before reading any of this, I thought - "man that sounds pretty 90s, and her singing reminds me of Alanis."

Meanwhile, in another TB thread, a bunch of DUDES are talking about how it's hot, and they don't care what anyone thinks, so they're going to wear cargo shorts and crocks to the gig...:rollno:

Bingo!

16. When i posted that it was sounded like an Alice In Chain's tune to me, i was just surprised, i expected her to be very jazzy and to be playing million note solos, I did not expect rock at all. I've gone through all the clips in this thread and liked every one, I might pick up this album. I think she's got it all, looks, great playing both on bass and guitar, great voice, and great writer, I did not mean to denigrate her at all, I'm actually very impressed and it takes a lot to impress me.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  17. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Ah man, I didn't take it as you denigrate her. My bad if I came across that way.
    Maybe the hair comment was a little denigrating.
    I was surprised too - and impressed. I like it... all of the clips. Agree that she's a real talent.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  18. Ever since I joined, there seemed to be a debate how the P/J bass fails in every regard. I can acknowledge the different output. The vintage die hards seem to claim that the P pickup is ruined by the addition of the J, even when it's not selected. The P pickup somehow ruins the J. The addition to of a middle pickup also ruins a Telecaster. Volutes at the headstock of a Gibson ruins the tone. The vintage purists are entertaining. This is probably why I love P/J basses and the Nashville 3 pickup Telecaster. ;)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would admit that there are limits inherent in the P/J design, but they can be corrected by a humbucking bridge pickup with strong enough output.

20. True. In the studio, adjust the input volume. Live, I'd add a touch of bass from the onboard active EQ to the J pickup to roughly match the output.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Dr. Cheese likes this.