1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tal Wilkenfeld: Sometimes It Takes a P-Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 10, 2019.

1. MasterMonkeyMan

MasterMonkeyMan Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2009
    My P/J has a 3 way selector switch - P, P/J, J. Pat Wilkins says that this setup preserves the "purity" of the P. I tend to agree.

bobyoung53 and spade2you like this.
  2. jesterbass

jesterbass

Apr 20, 2007
    Her hair is fine.

3. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    That guy always had an amazing sound. The tone on “Balls to the Wall” is godly. He didn’t use Fender basses back in those days - he played dead stock early 80s MIJ Squiers, which have a deserved reputation of being of higher quality than any USA made Fender at that time.

Baltes was a big Peavey endorser in those days, there used to be full page ads. I’ve seen Accept live and it all made for a mighty sound. Highly underrated player.

4. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Gold Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    It makes me smile you referring to Alice In Chains. This song was written for the Clint Eadtwood movie Play Misty For Me and performed by Roberta Flack. I believe that was 1969.
    I had the oportunity to see Tal 3 months ago in DC with a band they called W•F. No no no Wlkenfeld Tedeschi and Fish. She was Phenomenal ! The other 2 weren't bad either.
    How a 4'11" little girl can throw that Sequoia with strings around is beyond me. I am a OLD Pbass man myself.
    Bob

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hair? Really? That was brought up in the Mohini thread too. It's like the time somebody dissed Jaco on his white pants. C'mon man!;)

dregsfan, Joshua and HD007 like this.
  6. PJ basses are very legitimate intruments. People here don't like them?

MasterMonkeyMan and bobyoung53 like this.
  7. Historically, yes. These are usually guys who are staunch traditionalists and usually able to rally support. Does that make 'em right? Nah. Plus, most of their gripes are in the theoretical realm and seldom real world problems.

Their solution is to simply have a P bass and a J bass. Being a fretted and fretless player, I'd rather grab a P/J bass for the dynamic range on each bass as opposed to lugging 4 basses. ;)

Mingus_Habens likes this.
  8. Wow, I didn't know that. I play bass since a couple of years, read lots of stuff and keep myself updated but I never heard anything about that.
    I started with a P, which is the sound I've always had in my mind. I still have my P, which I love, especially with flats. I wanted to expand my tonal palette a little bit and decided to try a J bass but even if I like them, I don't find the soloed neck pickup tone as satisfying as my P, soloed bridge pickup tone is good but a little bit thin, with both pickups full on J basses sound great imho, but I'd have basically 1/2 sounds. I tried a PJ and that's what I'm using now, I prefer that kind of configuration. It gives me more, especially with rounds, but I'm still keeping my P.

9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    And I’ll put a 1,000 gigs of absolutely stellar tone against every one of their BS, ill-informed opinions.

#teamPJ

(Pickup height folks)

Dr. Cheese, cxcxcx and ak56 like this.
  10. I have two P/J bass, Fenders and love them, also got a Jazz. To be fair someone here a year or two ago posted a Fender P bass clip and a P pickup soloed from a P-J bass on a clip and a poll and some people could tell the difference, I could also hear a difference, not a big one but the plain Precision did sound a little better. A switch takes care of that though like on my Tony Franklin fretless (which I had a vol pot added) and it was no where near enough to change my mind about playing Fender P/J basses.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  11. Did you mean "Killing Me Softly"? That's a different tune if you did. I found "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Flack in that movie. Bought my first P bass in 1970.

12. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Hey, however tall she really is, she is a towering bassist!

First time I ever saw her play was in a video of a Jeff Beck concert - was totally floored by her technique and musicianship. No way was she even old enough to have developed such skill and yet there she was ripping it up and making it sound great!

13. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    I hope that wasn't the 16 Tons video with Billy Gibbons. That one doesn't do her justice because it's a fake. Some hacker mashed it together. But the one from the Ceossroads festival really shows her talent.

14. dregsfan

dregsfan Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Texas
    Pat Wilkins is a smart and great guy, who knows his stuff and builds great instruments :thumbsup:.

MasterMonkeyMan likes this.
  15. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Believe it or not she is 32. Blew me away when she announced that.
    ;€)
    Bob

16. MasterMonkeyMan

MasterMonkeyMan Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I believe, but am not 100% sure yet (although it has been 5 years now), Pat has cured my Bass GAS!
    Since acquiring his P/J Custom 4 string and a Warwick Corvette $$ 4, I have not felt the GAS. I have even parted with a few basses.
    It is a fine instrument. And unique. I believe mine might be the only one with the 3 way selector switch. Some say I might be missing the pup blend but I miss it not. The middle position with both pups selected is just plain delicious. And the P position is pure P and due to the J being further north than what is typical, it is useful on it's own.
    Of course, this applies to Bass GAS only. I still suffer Classical Guitar GAS!!! Maybe Pat should expand his repertoire!

dregsfan likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Here she is with that hollow body, playing a solo.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  18. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Absolutely. P/Js are amazing.

Someday I really want to get an olinto pj 5er, with flats.

Mingus_Habens, ElMon and Dr. Cheese like this.
  19. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    You are correct sir I mis-spoke. Lori Leiberman first released Killing Me Softly in 1971 and I had a senior moment confusing the two.
    Bob

20. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Things I like about Tal, even though this particular song isn’t a ‘hair up on the back of
    My neck song’:

- she is leading with compositions and is clearly maturing as a musician

- she made her bones by expressive soloing full of musicality, and ZERO of the (to me) played-out musical athletics that gets people talking/fawning:

Arms race of note flurries;
    Slapping that is the FURTHEST thing from DA FONK;

She’s just got ‘a thang’

Good for her.
    Dig that hair too.