Talent show soon - need inspiration

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Feb 26, 2003.

1. There's a talent show coming up at my school in about 2 1/2 weeks. That's not enough time (IMO) to get a band started. The other instrument playing people around here don't like me, or they suck at their isntrument. So I'm going to do a bass solo piece. I think. By this time, I'll have a 5 string. So I'm looking for some inspiration. Maybe list off some stuff that carries well as a solo, while not requiring virtuosity (?). Thanks a bunch.
  2. Distortion Pedal + Star Spangeled Banner...

Pull a Hendrix;)

I was thinking of doing the same for some gig,like having it be the opening... *shrug*

also,star spangeled banner is easy to learn...

good luck!

3. KoRnPoPs

Oct 11, 2002
    A solo who don't require virtuosity ??

No Chromatic Fantasy then....

Maybe Soul Intro/The Chicken of Jaco Pastoirus that's nice to play but that's not a real solo and it's long to learn... (like 8 page with never two times the same riff)
    You can try a thing with Slapping&Popping like Wooten but what I heard of him look really hard to play....
    If you want you can try a jazz piece too...
  4. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

The first time I auditioned for a bass player's position, in a Rock n' Roll Show that I've been a part of ever since, I used Jaco's "Amerika".

It's not overly complicated, (some fretted harmonics, easy double stops, and a short run up the strings around the 18th fret), not too long, certainly recognizable, and can be found on a several recordings.

I have the 'tabs' posted at a few different sites... if you don't find anything else that suits your need, it might be worth looking into.

michael s.
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Jaco's "Continuum".
  6. Mike Dimin's arrangement of "Autumn Leaves". You ought to be able to make something of that in a fairly short time scale. The effort comes in making it sound lyrical and interesting rather than "here's something I've learned the TAB for". Check Mike's forum here for examples.
  7. Hmm. Thanks for the ideas, I'll check them all out.

By no virtuoisty, I just mean no tapped 64th notes at 240bpm and in 37/8 time. Or something like that. :D
  8. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    two words.... Air Guitar!

I wish I had had done an air instrument band fo rmy HS talent show.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    How about Amazing grace in harmonics like wooten or jaco(yes...jaco did a version of this song in harmonics)

its not very hard and certainly a crowd pleaser.

or take it a step up and do Portrait of tracy

or tune your bass to E-A-E-B and have fun!