Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

talent show suggestions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dan Molina, May 1, 2003.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    i'm thinking about entering my schools talent show but i'm flustered about what song to play it's just going to be me on bass and I'm not really looking for something that's too complicated but yet impressive.

I was thinking portrait of tracy by jaco so that's an option.

Thanks

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Have you ever tried playing this song?

3. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I can play it, except for the 9&13 harmonic

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Try "Maxwell Murders" by Rancid... it is really short, but you could lengthen it up.. it is a pretty good line.

5. the awakening. it's just so dang fun to play! or just take something like silly putty (stan the man:cool: ) and jam on it.

6. If you can play Portrait of Tracey well enough, then go for it. You can always fudge the harmonics, most people probably won't notice......of course.....you'll have to live with the knowledge that you took the EASY way out....

7. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I think I will go with portrait of tracy

thanks all

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If you get a recording, post it up. I'd love to hear it.

I thought this thread was gonna be a general: What should I do for my talent show: thread. I was gonna suggest juggling cats and chainsaws and fire and some guy all at the same time.

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The caveat is the if you play POT, don't be surprised if only 1% of the audience gets it.

But that's about the percentage that will listen
    to begin with, I suppose.:spit:

< Sits in corner and grumbles while wiping vomit off
    old gig boots... > ;)

10. swallow a chicken, that's always fun.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Bigfeet you geek! :p

You could play Some victor wooten, anything with a lot of thumb pyrotechnics, is sure to get the audience thinking your an amazing bass player :rolleyes:

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    duuuuudeee pLay suM LInkIN pArk!!!!

13. W0ot!!!

14. How about 'school days'

The intro is sorta rockin' so it may grab attention, which is probably the most important thing.

As mentioned before I don't think many will understand or appreciate portrait.

15. I recon you should go for something with loads of heavy slap and pop. They'd love that.

16. Scrap the music, and go for some sort of stand up comedy or sketch. Makes you much more popular with the crowd. Really.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

17. Play Tommy The Cat by primus, do the studio version solo too, it should drop a couple of jaw's. Good luck with the search of a 6 fretless though....unless you already have one....:D