talent show

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by akajuve400g, Jan 16, 2001.

1. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Our band is gonna kick some ass at our high schools talent show. We are playing creed "ode" and "right on time" from RHCP.......WE are going up against some stupid jazz band that performed for the governor.....god how easy it shall be......muuuuhaaaahaaaaheeeeeee
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I suppose, sir, that since the "stupid jazz band" might have a double bass in it, I cannot claim with absolute conviction to be 100% positive that you have posted on the wrong side of the board. However, my lord, it would be worth noting that, if the posting was intentionally placed in the southern hemisphere of the talkbass empire (upon which the sun never sets completely), at least 50% of its intended audience are members of "Stupid Jazz Bands" of one type or another, many of whom, like myself, have at one time or another played for the governor of their respective state.

This being the case, sir, I might respectfully suggest that before posting in the future one might consider the nature of one's audience - unless, of course, one is trying to plant seeds of an inflammatory or combustible nature, in which case one may then by all means carry on in like form.

Respectfully yours,
  3. You came to the wrong place for this ****, son.

I guess I should tell ya now that that ten years from now some of those young cats that played for your governor will probably be making a living playing while you're pumpin' gas for a living.
  4. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    All this competion in music is ridiculous and leads to mudd fighting... I'm pretty sure that this guy is gonna tell us his school has the best music programme in the country...yuck!

All of us, the members of the so called "Stupid Jazz Bands" would like to wish You a very nice time beating those poor competitors of Yours.
    Unfortunately ( or on purpose ) You forgot to mention the Famous Name of Your Talented Player´s High School, so
    I´m afraid that some of us might miss the opportunity to see it. Hearing will not be a problem ( at least for those living within five miles from Your School ).

Yours sincerely,

Arto Alho
    stupid jazz player
  6. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Dear Mr. Also Known As 400g's is a felony possession charge:

What kind of rosin do you use?

So who's judging this little talent show? If it's students you may well beat the pants off the "stupid jazz band" by playing your note-for-note COPY of the latest rock hits. If it's adults with discerning ears then perhaps that "stupid jazz band" (which apparently had enough talent to play for the governer) might have a shot. Maybe the jazz kids will demonstrate some creativity and originality, some understanding of harmonic complexity, rather than a rote runthrough complete with the proper stage moves copied from MTV.

It's lovely that you are so enthusiastic young man. Play whatever blows yer skirts up. But be careful where you post (go check out the rosin thread here in DB land). Oh, and do drop back by to let us know how it comes out.

7. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Click on his profile; he is from Monroe, LA, generally regarded as the armpit of the state. They tried giving it to Mississippi, but they didn't want to slip to the bottom of all state categories from their previous #49. My parents suffered there for 3 years before getting out. He probably never heard jazz in this cultural wasteland.
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, I don't play URB, but I do play jazz on electric. (I know I know, blasphemy....please, I beg you all....let me live....I understand my ignorance).

I'm just having a hilarious time with this one. After I read that post I was just wondering if he wanted to swing by with Dante and a bucket of gasoline. Ah, naivete!

You guys mentioned that rosin thread. What's up with that? There's hardly any posts there? You guys need to get on the ball! :D

Creed will beat out Cole Porter any day of the week. Oh God, I can't even type that without laughing my arse off. Talent show? Lack-of-Talent Show. That's better.

P.S. What do you mean I can't pound out 16-note "A"s on an A7 chord all night. Isn't that what they call modal jazz? :) :D :) :D

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Mr. Ed,

The whole governor thing is really no big deal once you stop to consider that, since the entire population of KY is roughly 143 (I say roughly only because I haven't checked the obit page yet) as opposed to NY's 14.3 million, it all makes sense that I've played for the Guv an' you ain't - See, down here, anytime you have an audience at all, ya got at least a 1 in 142 chance of the Guv being there, whereas in NY, the odds are a bit more difficult.

I gotta add: you have really topped yourself this time...you've come up with some good ones before that made me laugh, but the moment I saw the word "HOCKEYPUBE" I thought I was gonna die. For the briefest moment I started to ask the question, "how did he learn to do THAT NAME THING so well?". But then, upon further consideration, it dawned on me that any child growing up in GA with the unfortunate surname of "Fuqua", had better be either a) big enough to pound the crap out of everyone who makes fun of it, or b) pretty good at coming up with lightning-quick bastardizations of other peoples names....if he wants to survive. I mean, I had to put up with some of that, but in my case either the mean kids weren't that clever, or my name just doesn't lend itself as well to wicked misinterpretation as does "Fuqua". Either way, your creation of the HOCKEYPUBE persona made an otherwise dull day a little brighter. Keep up the good work!

P*ss Fishjello
    Hey guys, are we establishing a brand new Rosin-therapy thread again? I´m all ears and eyes, ´cause that thread seemed to die out either of Mr. HITLER 585´s lack of enthusiasm to challenge us....maybe there´s more guts in this HOCKEYPUBE ?

DEFUNGUS: did ya meet Sanni in weekend´s jam sessions?

R2 D2
  11. AlexFeldman

Jun 18, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ouch. It hurts to see people roughly my age talking like that... after about two minutes of rolling my eyes and laughing at the response posts, I actually began to use my head a little.

It doesn't seem like many people my age (we're talking the 18-24 age group here) are seriously into jazz. Maybe the reason is because it isn't rebellious enough, or because it seems to uptight for people my age to 'express themselves'.

No! That's BS! Story time.

Me and my buddies (hell, we only know about improvised music because of underpaid public educators going way beyond the call of duty and showing us how profound it is) got busted by the capitalist pig for playing to loud in his coffee shop. Well, that's not quite how it happened. We got a regular gig at his store because he was 'willing to help out some high school students'. So we played at his store like on Friday nights and it was good. We got wonderful experience and we /thought/ we were making a decent wage. It wasn't until the drummer and I started playing some real gigs (again, if it weren't for the pig's generosity in the first place we might not have landed anything better) that we realized how bad he was screwing us. When we got the cheques from the 'pros' we were amazed to discover that they were paying us individually much more than than piggo was paying our entire quintet.
    Anyway, we asked for more money ($25, for the entire group, for two hours, really isn't very fair). He wouldn't give it to us and seemed insulted that we'd asked for more. We only had one more gig booked, so we made it the last one. Usually we'd have to keep it real down, so silly people could talk over us. We were background music, more of a novelty than anything else (Look at those young people! They play so nicely! Oooh, double cappucino's are only six dollars!). But on the last night we just blew the crap out of this place. We played our asses off. It was just a loud thing, it was an emotional, a passionate thing. And it grabbed people's attention. We propped open the door while the guy wasn't looking, and people walking by the store started wandering to see what was going on. 8 pm on a Tuesday night in a piddly college town, and we had this place filled.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that's a lot cooler than grabbing some guitars and making more noise than the governor's pet high school jazz band.
  12. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    If I were smart I'd write a book on bass players. All the material is right here for a best seller in the phsycology category. :)

Great pix Ed, which one is the Japanese piano player?

I mean this in the nicest kind of way, but why do you guys have to wait for a wayward electric bassist to come along before you start yakking away? You all are very intereting to "listen?" to but you don't seem to turn loose very much.

Please don't start beating me with the rubber chicken. I couldn't out talk Ed by himself so I don't stand a chance against all of you. :) :)

13. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    PKR2 - Let us know when the book comes out. I can't wait to read your chapter on YOSEMITE KUNG FUQUA. (Nice goatee Ed)

I guess we don't yak without provocation. It's just so entertaining to play "whack a mole" when these guys wander over oblivious to where they are posting.

The BG boys have lots to yak about - whether they should get a Warwick/Fodera/Tobias/Pedulla/Conklin/Fender/Zon 4/5/6/7-string bass or an Ampeg/Eden/SWR/Trace Elliot/Marshall/Peavey amp. Then there's all those effects to stomp. Does Korn suck or not? Is Flea god? Does the Ibanez Ergodyne smell funny? Why does everybody look down on teenagers?

We don't trade tabs down here. I've never seen anybody posting on the NFL, favorite Simpson's quote, gun control, PETA, politics, or what stickers are on your pickguard. That's some yakkin' I've got no interest in listening to.

I'm mainly here for the solid info I get from the regulars not the chat. Did you check out Ed's thread on ballads - lots of good stuff to chew on there.

P.S. The piano player seems to be the one holding the imaginary binoculars.

14. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Rab, I sure do wish I hadn't called Ed that. Now he's got one coming and I don"t know when to expect it.:) Just for the record, Ed and I really don't have any problem with each other. Heck, I like to think I'm a little responsible for his sig.:)

Besides that ,I thought he was a little bitty guy till I saw the pic. I may actually meet him some day.:)

No, I haven't checked out the ballad thread but I will. Tnx.

I know you guys don't post stuff like you described but I'll bet that you read the posts that you're talking about. If you did, there must be some interest in just yakking. I think it's great to be able to know the poster as a person as well as a musician.

As long as the lighter stuff is kept in Off Topic or Misc., it really doesn't hurt anything. After all, a good laugh does the soul as much good as a good song.

[Edited by pkr2 on 01-17-2001 at 06:27 PM]
  15. I have it on good authority that Ed Fuqua helped a cat across the street, and gave a saucer of milk to an old lady.
  16. That old lady was my Mom. Now she won't stop licking her whiskers.

And that was my wife's cat he helped. I'll never forgive him.
  17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Rablac, two things: a) nice post. b) if you dig the goatee, you should REALLY dig the ponytail.

REBUQUA, just in case you think I'm dogging your ponytail for no reason, I'm not... I'm closer to the "Bulldog John Turner" look (only not as burly) myself, so I'm probably just jealous of anyone who COULD grow a ponytail. By the way, I've been looking for that "Have You Named Your Strap?" thread you mentioned over in Rosin. Which topic was that in?

Alex - I hear ya, the guy was probably a butt, but on the other hand, I've played a lotta coffeehouse gigs virtually for free and enjoyed the hell out of it when the band was right. If it's an off night and you just wanna play for some real live people,...go for it. When are coming down this way?

PICKONFUALSO, I am eagerly awaiting the aforementioned book as well, the chapter on Ed is gonna be sweet! Your question on why it isn't very lively down here is a good one...I don't know why, but it's nice the way it is. In DB at least when you see a new post you can assume that it's probably worth checking out. In BG there's a few interesting spin-offs every once in a while, but you sure gotta wade through some sludge to find it...
  18. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    PKR2 - Actually, when I wrote my post last night was the first time I had ever really checked out the BG side (other than to check out Young Master Hunter's "Those DB'ers are mean" thread) and I was just copying the thread titles. After playing electric bass for 16 years I am familiar with all those equipment issues. I bought my DB 10 months ago and haven't gotten my electrics out of their cases since then.

I agree with FITZ that it's nice not to have to wade through any sludge down here in DB land to find the useful stuff. I'm all for a good laugh (I've had a number here recently). I think there is presently a pretty decent balance.

Alex - I used to call those low $ deals "exposure gigs." Sounds like it worked for you & the drummer. You never know who is listening.
  19. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Rablack: Actually I agree with you. The balance between just plain silliness and solid, useful info is more to my taste on DB also. I have to wonder though, if it might have more to do with the average age of the posters on the two forums.

I don't run into many really young musicians that are into DB. I suppose peer pressure has a lot to do with that.

To me the greatest things that I feel that I've accomplished in music are the young people that learned bass because of the support that I showed them when they first started out. One of the best bluegrass bassists (Randy Pegram with Sweetwater) that I've known started out at 10 years of age on a cello that I gave him. That sort of thing leaves a feelgood that I can enjoy even when I no longer can play.

I just think that we as upright bassists might discourage the young'uns if they (wrongly) assume that to be an URBassist, one must live in a permanent no-fun zone.

You know and I know that's not true.

Just look at the giggles that you all had watching Ed and me sniping at each other. :) The rosin thread is another example. That was pure comedy.We all enjoyed it and nobody was hurt by it. It did open a line of communication that didn't appear to be there before.

O.K., I know I'm rambling but right now I'm just a little bored.
  20. CHIHUAHUA: Cool man, thanks for the pix. I remember Sanni looking better, but maybe it´s cause I was used to see her without the gorilla hanging on her left arm. Tell her to drop me an email with her recent adress, please. I´ve started collecting the $ for the NY trip. See ya in about 25 years!
    Where are you in the picture? Nice stage, by the way.

ALL THE OTHERS: I agree the most you have said. DB forum really is the best source to get solid info from the most
    professional cats in the Net. Personally I honour the idea
    of sharing what you know with the others, ´cause in here you are tend to get it back multiplied ( considering you know how to ask to avoid getting beaten with a rubber duck...).

Anyhow, for me music is always humour, too. And if ya don´t see any humorous points in playing the doghouse, you might not be the right cat to play it after all. And part of these threads are pure entertainment & lots of fun. So be it.

I now withdraw to my painful, dull and grim exercises.

R2 D2