Talent Show

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Cornbread, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    My school had a talent show last year, and I played in 5 bands. Here's the rundown:
    Space Monkeys (school band): We played 2001 as background music during the intro to the show. Then at the end of the show we played our version of "Flashlight", and I got to do a little funky intro and had a lot of space to funk up the bassline while DJs and my teacher(on guitar) were doing a scratching duel.

Half Decent: We had a large band (guitar, guitar/vox, drums, bass, piano, 2 backup singers) and played "Sweet Home Alabama", which I think sounded pretty good. I had a mini solo that probably no one heard.

Not Half Bad: This was a different band with a lame name. We played "Drive" by Incubus. I screwed up at one point but somehow managed to cover it up (or no one noticed).

Open For Discussion: We played an original song. I think the only reason the crowd like us was the dramatic stop we did towards the end of the song. It was fun.

The Mary Higgins Clark Blues Explosion: This band was the weirdest of all. I guess you could say it was my band. I played a gutbucket bass and was accompanied by an acoustic guitar, conga/bongos, paint buckets, and a kazoo. We played three times during the show between acts. We just stormed the stage and started playing. After a little while, I'd yell "SWITCH!", and we'd either switch instruments, hats, stage position, or freeze. Everything was unamplified, and apparently the audience couldn't understand my yelling when I introduced us.

Well, that's the short of my hectic talent show experience. Does anyone else have recent talent show stories?
  2. My first "gig" was a school talent show. We had to bring our gear to the stage about a week before tryouts because the teachers wanted to make sure everyone was serious about being in it. So for the next week at lunch me, the guitarist and the drummer and the drummers friend (also a guitarist) just sat there and played little mini jams. The drummer (Alex) sucked so bad, he could play on pattern (on the snare, highhat, and bass drum!). The only song the drummer's friend (Brian) knew was "Carousel" by Blink 182. So he just played that while me and the only good guitarist (David) jammed with the drummer. Ok, we started to draw crouds, and they all wanted to play our instruments and such, so you know, to be popular...

Ok, so then we had tryouts, and got to get outa class! Me and David were in the same class, so when the announcement came on to go to the gym, we went. But Alex and Brian were nowhere to be seen! So 1 minute before we were supposed to go on stage, they appear. The stupid dufus Brian forgot his guitar and amp (a 10w to be specific), so we're like, "Get the F*** out here dufus". So he ran away. Then when we started, our set was a Blink 182 song (I forget which one), "Say It Ain't So" by Weezer, and "Hey" by Suicide Machines. We didn't have a vocalist, so it was pretty much instruments (duh...). So about 10 seconds into the song, the drummer just gets up and goes "Man I suck! You guys just go on without me!". We're stunned! I promptly kicked his kneecap into the wall, almost breaking it, then David pushed him off the stage, luckily the teachers thought he fell ). So, just me (bass) and David (guitar) went on without them. To make matters worse, this really hot girl was in the "audience", and I kept having a staring problem.

Ok so then gameday. It started at 7 PM friday.Me and David were schuedualed to go on 3rd to last act, right before a guitarist and singer do "If I saw you in heaven" by Clapton. So we started to set up at 6:30, we had our amps there and all, and we started to put them up on the stage when the leader of the show said "Hey guys, I need you to set up on the gym floor because there'll be no room for the other acts who need to use the stage. We're like "F*** you" but she made us anyway. Ok, so we're sitting in the stands watching the other acts, and I'm nervous, and I let my bros and b!***** know it. So my guitarist started smoking weed in the bathroom to get over his nervousness.

We went on.

We were like, 3 feet, literally, from the crowd. Luckily, it was our own classmates, so they didn't throw stuff at us. I think I killed one of them with my amp! But we went through it, then when "Hey" came around David yells "DROP IT" and everyone gets up and started moshing! It was great! Needless to say, we won! Then at the party afterwards, I got surrounded by girls! It was great.
  3. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    That's a violent story.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    See? Gen-X'ers don't NEED drugs.
  5. Did one on Thrusday-Friday-Saturday. It was my friend Sarah's Senior Project.

On Thursday, we played four songs. Chinese Fire Drill, which is my original, Kick him when he's Down by Offspring, For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica ( I got a solo with that one!!) and did an Encore of Paranoid by Megadeth. Yes, I know that Black Sabbath wrote Paranoid, but we covered Megadeth's version of it. It has a much better guitar solo in it.

Friday, we only got three songs, Chinese Fire Drill, Good Bye to You, which is our singer's original, and All I want by Offspring.

Saturday was great. We had two performances, a 1 o'clock matinee and a 7 o'clock show. 1 o'clock had only two songs, cause my girlfriend and I were late (wink, wink.) We played Mudshovel by Staind and Take a Look Around by Limp Bizkit. That one got people moving.

7 o'clock was by far the best. On of the acts didn't show at all, so they asked us to perform in their place. We had eight songs that night (okay, deep breath):

Chinese Fire Drill
    Good Bye to You
    I Choose by Offspring
    For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica
    Another Brick in the Wall Part II by Pink Floyd
    El Weirdo (instrumental that sounds more like a guitar duel)
    Encore Part I was Californication by RHCP
    Encore Part II was Nothing Else Matters by Metallica.

It was all an exceptional expieriance, because it was the first performance in our new school auditorium. All three nights were sold out, so we played to about 2,500 people. Had a lot of fun, and will never forget it.

Rock on
  6. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Yea, I've done a couple talent shows when I was in high school. The school I went to had two a year, a fall show and a spring show. My senior year me and a few other senior musicians but togeather a swing band. None of could sing, but we did anyway and swung are arses all night. We won both shows(with original songs). Then the following year, while I was attending college, some friends of mine still in high school asked me to help them with there act. So we put togeather a dixie marching brass band, I wrote them a tune, and they won both shows that year. I never thought I'd see the day when a brass band beats a whole lotta punk bands, rappers, and singers.
  7. JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    had a talent show last night, in fact. i was originally going to play Down (by stp) with my primary band, but the singer couldnt participate, due to a c average rule... Without him, no guitar, without guitar, no bass, without bass, no drums... Luckily, The Drummer and I found a band that was looking for our two positions. They were playing a tori amos song, that went rather well, although I probably looked brutally retarded. I'm not sure if the audience realized that my part was only 3 notes... There were two other bands there, playing "were not gonna take it", and "sleep now in the fire". I'm quite dissapointed that my other band didnt get to play.. we would have discouraged the other bands to pursue music forever. Oh well, theres always next year.. Gotta play a chili pepper song. Something bass-heavy, like Higher Ground, Knock Me Down, or Around the World.
  8. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Hey JohnK, welcome to TalkBass!
    After the show, I got a bunch of negative comments about the sound in general. We didn't have a sound guy, so basically, everything was a wall of sound. And I found out before my last song that I was practically inaudible. I cranked up my amp a little more (All the bands except for 1 used my 100watt BA-115 combo in the packed gym. I'm sure it could have been plenty loud, but I set it a little more conservatively because people complained that it was too loud when I used it at other functions) and saved the show with my "Flashlight" bassline after a drawn-out, boring guitar duel that lasted for 10 minutes. :rolleyes:

I have a few pictures I'll post when I get them scanned. It was fun stuff.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    Today I played in my school talent show as my first gig. We started planning out two songs like a month beforehand, and had them pretty much dialed by about a week ago. The only way we could practice was with the lead and rhythm guitar players because the drummer was always gone (and he thinks he's John Bonham and doesnt need to practice). We made plans for the drummer to come to my house so we could practice, so he loaded up his drums and came over.
    We started practicing and both of the guitar players
    were horrendiously out of time and the drummer got pissed and left. So here I was with no drummer a week before the talent show, with two guitar players that were playing way out of time. I figured if we just decide to play some punk rock song that we could thrash out we wouldn't need a drummer (and i figured that there was no way that the guitarists could screw up a 3 chord song.) We had about a 3 days to practice so we jammed on it constantly until we had it down as good as we could with one of the guitar players still out of time.
    The lead guitar player and I (the one who was in time) showed up this morningwith all of our gear to find the rhythm guitar player hadn't brought his amp!!! It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because we were able to run the his guitar through the P.A......until he blew the P.A. We jammed the P.A. in the storage room and hoped they had another one. About two seconds later the jr. high principal walked up with a brand new crate P.A. system. I went to go get my friends out of class to sing, and the teacher wouldnt let them out!!! So I snuck them on the stage in between classes so we could practice. They had forgotten one important element to singing a song...learning the words. So now we had one guitar player and two singers who were out of time with about an hour left before we went on. I was nervous to say the least, and the teachers, who werent even supposed to be in there, that kept telling us to turn down weren't helping our progress any. Finally showtime rolled around and everybody except me and the lead player were so nervous they couldnt remember their names, much less their parts, so i tried the "imagine them in their underwear" trick, trying to make them laugh. We started and I thought my bass sounded funny, but ignored it and went into "when i come around" by green day. It came to the part where i was supposed to do a popped pull-off and all i heard was chorous. (i later found that someone had pushed in my chorus button...good old volunteer roadies) The singers had stopped singing and were about as far to the back of the stage as possible, the rhythm player was out of time and some spaceship-like sounds coming from my bass. The song ended and the people started clapping!!! Not the response I expected. I guess nobody listens to green day at my school and the audience thought we were playing it right the whole time!!! I guess every band has to have a talent show horror story, and when we are rockstars, maby we will look back and laugh...or when we are working at burger king we will look back and see what losers we really were :)

"I hate anyone who is not me"-Chris Vandeveer (my lead guitar player)
  10. In 8th grade, I would play any song just 'cuz I wanted to play, so my guitar player chose "My Hero" by the Foo Fighters. We got it down and the only problem was that the singer couldn't sing worth a crap and he was out of tune (he sings with a British accent for some strange reason).
    My jazz band teacher wanted the jazz band to open and close the show, so I would have to play my jazz songs, get on stage since we were the show openers, and then get back to the jazz set when the show was over. So we play 2 jazz songs and I go to the stage and wait behind the curtains, when the jazz teacher starts yelling, "Steve, get back out here!" He wanted to play another song and he didn't tell me before I left! So I have to run across the commons with my bass in front of half of the student body, plug in, and play another song, then get my ass BACK on stage and play the show. Luckily, I did just that and it worked out really good. The way our show worked last year was that there are two shows, each for a different half of the school. We did pretty good the first show, except for the damn singer. So the second show, we turned our amps up as loud as we could and completely drowned him out and got what was probably a better crowd response than the first show. :D
  11. Yeah my first gig was the school talent shw which was just a few weeks ago. It was fun...I had probably the biggest cheer of the night :)
    I played Anesthesia, everyone loved it and it was loads of fun.
    What was funny was at the one rehearsal 10 minutes before I went on my D string broke so I was scramblin about tryin to finda band with a similar bass to mine, luckily one dude had one and let me borrow it.
  12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Gather 'round and I shall tell ye a tale.

'Twas late February of 2000 when I was in 8th grade when there was an impromptu talent show of sorts. A few weeks earlier, a teacher I knew not of asked my guitar-playing guru of a friend if he could play at some PTA meeting (as a scam to con the participents' parents to attending). He said "sure" and later asked if his friend (me) could play with him. Our other friend heard of such news and asked if he could play with us, too. Unfortunately, he isn't nearly as good as my other friend, but Eric (the good one) decided not to ruin friendship over some small talent show. So the three of us were booked: two guitar players with around 10 years of experience between them (most of the ten years, ironically, belonging to the kid who couldn't play very well) and a bass player who had been playing for all of two months.

Eric and I had several rehearsels where we would play the single song ("Little Wing" by Hendrix) for an hour or so, working on timing on whatnot. Luckily for me, the bass line was just root notes, so the brunt of the work was on Eric. He also had a few seperate rehearsels with the rythm guitarist and worked out a barre chord arrangement that was just my line, more or less, with more notes played at once.

The day of the show, my friends came to my house after school to get it all together within two hours. After a few minutes of playing, we realized that Jesse (rythm player)'s amp really, really sucked. With the clean setting on, it became heavily distorted when set on a relatively high volume! We worked on a way to fix the problem, but couldn't completely solve it.

When we got to the school, we set up our gear on the stage and practiced while all of the twenty parents and kids showed up. Jesse's amp sounded so incredibly distorted that i cringed every time he played.

Well, after the teachers were done addressing the attendees, the other kids had their turn. My group (it ain't a band till there's a drummer) excluded, every performer was a singer. We watched everyone else perform and our collective attitude was,"wait till they see us!"

When we got on stage, I looked frantically for my cord, which I found "hidden" in my gig bag's pocket. I plugged in and looked over to Eric, who was for the first time not three feet away from me (in fact we were on opposite ends of the stage, due to ac outlet allotments). He played the first "scratch" chord of the song and decided his volume was way too loud! When he said, "Wait a second," and adjusted the volume, everyone was cracking up, myself included. Then he started off the song again and Jesse and I came in. Of course, jesse's part came off very distorted, contrary to the spirit of the ballad. When I played, my fingers sweated really badly and I was very nervous. I thought to myself "I'm glad the song is really easy or else I'd be screwed!" Hey, it was the first time I played in front of an audience! Anyway, my sound was pretty soft and hardly audible, that is, from what I understand. I hit all the chord changes properly, though and all flaws aside, we played pretty well! Well, with all flaws aside, it was just Eric playing, and he did his part just fine. Everyone loved it and commented on how well we did. I just kind of mumbled and shrugged, knowing that we didn't sound half as good as we should've.

There is even more to that, concerning the cancellation of the in-school talent show (which pisses me off to this day) and the invitation and decline of my group to play at a spaghetti dinner that the school had (which mad a grand total of $3!). But those will have to wait for another thread.
  13. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I finally have some bad pictures to post!
    I think they might be a tad big, so be warned...

The first three are of the Mary Higgins Clark Blues Explosion.
    This one shows some gutbucket bass playing: [​IMG]
    And here's me yelling "SWITCH!":
    And here's another one. (the kid on the left is playing a kazoo):

14. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma

Here's a picture of Open For Discussion:

Not Half Bad (I'm looking over because I lost my place for a bit...):

Half Decent (part of the band anyway):

A foggy picture of me during "Flashlight":