1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TALINA IVORY FELT PICKS

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by EdwinMcCravy, Aug 21, 2007.

1. EdwinMcCravy

EdwinMcCravy

Aug 16, 2007
    You won't believe the warm sound of TALINA IVORY FELT PICKS. They are made for ukuleles but sound fabulous on bass. They sound just as warm as fingers. I've fallen madly in love with them. They are sold here.

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/uw_part.html#picks

I'm talking about the white (IVORY) Talina ukulele picks on that webpage, not the red, black, or grey ones. So scroll down to the ivory ones.

Edwin

2. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    just as warm as fingers ehh?? :hyper:

maybe I won't have to struggle with learning finger plucking anymore! jk.

My only concern is imagining that they wear out quickly because they're made of felt.

3. Rickenbrad

Rickenbrad

Aug 13, 2007
    ill have to try those, currently i'm using Copper picks and i love them, such a crisp tone

4. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I've been using the Wedgie rubber picks, which also sound much like fingers. Wedgies come in three hardnesses, and my experience is that there's no difference in sound or feel, but the soft picks wear out faster, and get white sticky bits under the strings and pickups.

I'll have to try the felt picks.

5. EdwinMcCravy

EdwinMcCravy

Aug 16, 2007
    That's true. I buy oodles of them at a time. But they're worth it.

Edwin

6. EdwinMcCravy

EdwinMcCravy

Aug 16, 2007
    Then you probably want a "click" sound for your kind of rock and stuff. I just play old jazz, old rock, and old country. And I don't want a "click" on that stuff.

Edwin

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I use Dunlop felt picks.
    Not as exotic as your link but they do the job fine.
    Wooly and thumpy for that 60s muted tone.

8. EdwinMcCravy

EdwinMcCravy

Aug 16, 2007
    I've tried the Wedgie picks, all three hardnesses, but I couldn't get used to the way they stick to the strings. They mess up my timing because they hang up on the string and make my note come out a split second later than I intended.
    Did you find them sticky? Maybe you learned to pick your notes a split second earlier. :hyper:

Edwin

9. EdwinMcCravy

EdwinMcCravy

Aug 16, 2007
    I've used those too, but for my purposes, they don't come close to the Talina Ivories. But I'm sure they are fine for you.

10. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Yes, they stick to the strings. But it's a matter of getting used to them. I agree that there is a VERY different feel. When I pick up a plastic pick after an hour with the Wedgie, it seems slicker than goose grease and I'm consistently a little early. Kinda like a hair trigger when you're used to a heavy pull.

The secret is to switch around to different picks fairly often (every half hour of practicing, for me). After doing this switching for a while, the biggest difference changes from the stickiness on the strings, to the grip. Plastic picks slide around in my fingers while the Wedgies stay put. I've tried the picks with the sandpapery patches, but I'm not impressed. The plastic picks with the cork grips work for me.

Oodles? Man, those picks are $5 for a pack of 3 in quantity! A hard Wedgie lasts me about 30 hours of playing time. How long do the Talina Ivories last?

11. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    sorry, but.... Can anyone else smell a sneaky sponsor message in this one?

12. I've fallen madly in love with my fingers. They're not sold anwhere though.

13. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    The site selling these things cites glowing testimonials from an "Edwin". This is a bit suspicious.

14. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've been using the Wedgie rubber picks (3.1mm and 5..0mm) in all three hardnesses for a couple of years now, though I mostly use the Hard version. I can switch between them and any type of hard pick at will now. It just takes playing with them for a while. I don't even feel that stickiness anymore like I did when I first started using them.

I did use them almost exclusively when using a pick for about the first 6-8 months. This allowed me to get really comfortable with them. I don't really remember, but it probably took 2-3 months to really get comfortable with them. I don't even think about it anymore though. I just grab the pick I want for whatever song I'm playing and use it now.

In my pocket right now I have a 3.1mm & 5.0mm hard versions, as well as two different thickness tortex picks. I never leave home without them. lol... :D

15. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Yeah, that's one of the nice things about the rubber picks, they don't slide around in your fingers. :)

For a hard pick, Flint, have you ever tried the Everly Star Picks (tortex)? That's what I use for a hard pick. They have a 10 pointed star cut out of the middle of them. They never slip in my fingers. I've been using them for a while now. Much better than anything else I've tried regarding hard picks, and I've tried many. lol...

16. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I've had good luck with Gibson felt ukulele picks.

My wife bought me one of these, and it works great for when I want a percussive sound, but I doubt I'd pay for a replacement if I lost it.

17. EdwinMcCravy

EdwinMcCravy

Aug 16, 2007
    Sorry, but I'm not at all. :rollno: I was asked that by the TalkBass CEOs before they allowed that to be posted. A few years ago I ran across a 1929 Martin Tenor Ukulele with a beautiful tone, and bought it. I googled up Ukulele World and ordered a bunch of supplies. That's my only dealings with Ukulele World.

EdwinMcCravy

18. EdwinMcCravy

EdwinMcCravy

Aug 16, 2007
    Bet your fingers are not as accurate at nailing notes exactly at the right time as with a pick.

EdwinMcCravy