1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Talk about a crappy back drop...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sm49341, Jun 4, 2018.

1. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    3D90FFCE-AB5A-4C70-971B-2242B3E96E9A. Played a party this past weekend. Business owner has a pretty impressive sized nice new building. But its kinda like a warehouse- and its a plumbing business. Our backgroud actually included not only rolls of pex waterline, but shelves of toilets. Top that!

2. Hope that is an American Standard P bass!

3. Shelves of toilets make an excellent backdrop for half the bands I hear.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Plumbing is the heart of any building, just like Rock 'n Roll is the heart of....what was I going to say...?

At least you had a paying gig!

Go forth and multiply!

5. Good thing you didn't bring the Ray, you might've accidently brought home a toile... never mind. :D

6. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    With all the toilets in the background, I too hope it's an American Pee bass. Gotta have a consistent theme to your staging.

7. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Well you could start a new three-piece progressive kind of rock band with a lead singing bassist and call it "Flush."

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Most of the lazy bands I see locally stack their cases and gear boxes on stage. Not much different in my view.

Throw in a Home Depot tarp or a piece of cloth from piece goods with their name spray painted on it and.....

I like your backdrop better.

Stumbo and pjbassist like this.
  9. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    One of the best private parties I have played was in a place just like this. We thought the sound was going to be terrible, but there was just enough product in the shelving, along with a big rug type floor covering, the sound was pretty good.

Stumbo likes this.
  10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As long as the check cleared...

11. sm49341

sm49341

May 12, 2013
    Michigan
    Of course its an American Standard Pee bass. Yea, it was actually a pretty good gig. Nice party, its the 2nd time weve played for the business. In all honesty, we’re big boys and should really have a back drop for these situations, but we dont. Harbor freight now has those black mesh tarps. They are partially see thru, like fine netting. I see them used at big concert venues for back drop all the time. Just would need a good hanging system, they should be hung tight, with bungy cord tension, not loose like a curtain.

Bioflava likes this.
  12. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Putting together a framework made of PVC pipe and fittings wasn’t your first thought????

Matthew_84, HamOnTheCob and Sixgunn like this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Playing against a backdrop of racked toilets is something I find oddly appealing.

Go figure. :laugh:

14. Looks like somebody doesn't care for the fugly Blackheart logo on that speaker cab either.

saabfender likes this.
  15. last month we played for the opening of a venue's summer "patio", which was really just a fenced in portion of the alley between the venue and the U-Haul place next door. We had to move dumpsters to load in. Even still...wasn't the worst place I've played.

IMG_9506.JPG

mech, Jimmy4string, sm49341 and 2 others like this.
  16. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    I did a fill in gig at Arcosanti Village in Arizona......

My backdrop was the concrete utility wall and scheduling white board....

But, the check cleared and the beer was free!! WIN!

13443139_1129107980483111_8821252628239502573_o.

lowtom, saabfender, Oddly and 5 others like this.
  17. Could be worse, some inebriated patron could try using one of the inventoried lavatory items, miss and short out your pedalboard. Yikes!!! Hate when that happens. :laugh:

18. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    Better than big televisions showing random sporting events.

19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm glad you guys got a handle on it. Not sure I could have taken the plunge.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Nice bass!