1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Talk about a crappy back drop...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sm49341, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Sorry, Harvey blew out our favorite venues and almost all the pics... My band tends to play private / company gigs, typically small town agricultural type stuff.... We tend to play in barns, and fields...

A colleague of mine had a gig a couple of weeks ago, in a funeral home....

2. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    So sm, did you hit the brown note?

3. It's all good, man...toilet humor never goes out of style.

Renaissance likes this.
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Played a gig in an alley where a large garbage dumpster was the backdrop. We tried to cover it with a sheet the best we could.

5. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Speaking of fields...this was a wedding reception waaaaaay out in the country. This was supposed to be a field but it hadn't rained much in what seemed like months. Access was by a corduroy dirt road and power supplied by a welding truck parked 100 yards away so the sound of the motor wouldn't interfere with the festivities. But the pay was really good, food even better and the guests beyond ready to party. I asked the BL for $10 extra for a car wash when we got there. I was laughing so hard when we pulled up....the BL was in a big Ford dually with small PA, his gear and drummer's in the back and watching that thing jitter around on the corduroy dirt road for miles was hilarious! There was some brown grass out of the pic where the buffet and tables were set up. Had dust up to my knees by the time it was over. And yes, that's the dance floor to my left. Union Wedding Recpt-Nov 2016.

6. Big Hoss

Holy cow, other than the trailer is in WAY better shape than the one we use, gear choices are slightly different, and you guys have way more hair than me that could literally be a pic of my band setting up!

Yep, fields, big portable generators, we typically specify the venue will provide a 10KW generator and fuel, and we provide our own power protection. (we use multiple 1500VA AVR UPSes, we have them, and they work well).

mech likes this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Hilarious!

8. Big Hoss

Just a suggestion. What we do, if we have the room and the time of course...

I have a Limostudio green screen / chroma key kit with supports and 10x12 muslin backdrops in green, white, and black. I had a dedicated black muslin backdrop made with our band name on it and I use the supports to hold up the backdrop.

IF you have a truss rig, or at least a pair of light bars, and can rig a cross bar, you might want to go that way as a backdrop. It's inexpensive, and we use it to conceal our gear cases during the show... Gives a good surface to shoot effects off of as well.