1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Talk About a LOUD Sucker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 34 Blues, Mar 23, 2006.

1. 34 Blues

34 Blues

Oct 2, 2005
    Bass player friend of mine just got his Aggie S 410 blowout from MF delivered yesterday. Calls me up, "Hey man bring your Walk-About head over & lets scope it out." So I take the head out of the Scout unit, get over to his pad, plug it in, & HOLY MACKEREL, is that fan loud when it's not in the "box". It sounded like one of those gas powered model airplanes was about to take off & fly around the room. Strike 1 Mesa for that one.

2. Yeah, but what did the S410 sound like?

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    That really sucks. I've found the WorkingPro series heads from SWR to be the same way.......super noisy fans. Unacceptable.

4. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I had a Walkabout head for a couple of years. I liked it a lot. I never noticed the fan noise. Maybe the Scout heads have a different fan in them than the heads that are sold without the cab?

5. 34 Blues

34 Blues

Oct 2, 2005
    This was the head from my Walk-About-Scout. Inside the Scout box, it is muffled quite a bit, but as a stand-alone head, it would never cut it for me.

6. I have the 400+, and while I find that the fan can get noisy when on the highest setting, medium setting does not get much noise. Is there a fan speed control on the Scout?

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    There's talk about replacing the fan in the walkabout mega thread.

I noticed the fan the first few times I turned mine on, but I don't notice it at all anymore.

If you plan on using the head for recording, I'd suggest replacing the fan. If not, I think you'll find it to be less of an annoyance in short time.