Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk Bass Improving.... (pun intended!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

TalkBass Improving?

In the last few days, things seem to be getting back to normal round here and signal to noise ratio is definitely changing for the better.

Has anybody else noticed this?

It pays to complain - Americans should know all about that surely? ;)

But I thought it was worth saying this and also asking what threads people would like to see more of...

What threads don't we have, that would interest you? What topics or areas for discussion would further improve content at TB ?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    No-you are still posting ;) ;) ;)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Ha! Good one!! :D

I could say the same about you!! ;)

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    wE neEd m0r3 1337 taBz

5. AnD DeEz bEtTuR bEEz KoRn FiElDy TaBz!!!!!1

:p

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It has nothing to do with complaining, Bruce - it's just that the school year is starting. This 'noise to signal' ratio happens every summer.

7. Bruce Lindfield

On that point though - we are always told in the UK that Americans are the champions at complaining an getting what they want - whereas us Brits are to hesitant and would rather keep quiet or a stiff upper lip and not complain about things like customer service etc.

Is this true?

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The US is a large and very diverse place. There are co-cultures here that are quite vocal when they are not getting what they want/need, and others that never make a peep.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Who are the quiet ones?

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Obviously not. BTW what part of the US are you from?

11. *i will refrain from commenting because i sense this thread is about to take a step in the wrong direction (ie, its gonna get racial)*

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It's dangerous to generalize, but I'll go ahead and do it anyway. Sorry if I offend anybody, I know that all people are individuals who frequently go against cultural behavior patterns. That said, Asian-Americans are generally seen as quiet people who keep to themselves and don't complain. Of course, this category would include lots of smaller groups, like Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans. Also, I don't think of Indians (from India) as very vocal. Native Americans tried being vocal years ago but got stomped on so their issues don't seem to make the public agenda very often. With the recent war, I don't think Americans from Middle Eastern countries have been complaining very much, they don't want to be associated w/ terrorists. There are other groups too, like say Filipinos or Pacific Islanders in general, who don't seem to complain. One way to track the "vocality" of co-cultural groups is to look at the culural background of our current politicians. Elected officials can be seen as "professional complainers" who stand up for the rights of their constituents. We don't seem to have many politicians from the groups listed above, at least at the national level (and no, I don't think this is because of racism - I like to think that people would vote for whoever they think will stand up for them, regardless of race). This trend does not hold for other areas of society, such as business or entertainment, where there are many successful people from the groups listed above. All of this is IME and IMO, I could be wrong.

13. Bruce Lindfield

So this is seen as a good thing!! ;)

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Your example was customer service, not politics. Some see it as a good thing, and go into politics. Others see it as a bad thing, and avoid politics. Many many Americans do not vote.

15. well, i didnt think anyone would have a response this good without making it racist! but yeah, he summed it up pretty well, i would like to add that generally you dont hear much from latino-americans either, i know quite a few mexican families and they are very quiet and keep to themselves pretty much.

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Well, at least I didn't offend you. :) We'll see who else chimes in. Latinos do have plenty of politicians in CA and FL, and I think it's only a matter of time before they make more impact on the national scene. They've got a cultural tradition of "machismo" that seems to fit well w/ American politics.

This thread seems to belong in OT now. I have no opinion on TB quality -- it seems the same to me.

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Talkbass is Talkbass.

Its always been pretty darn good to me.

18. i think it always belonged in off topic, its not really music related...

and yeah, the only difference in the quality from the time i started coming here and now is that now there is a bajillion threads complaining about the quality. :meh:

19. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Don't know, since they don't complain we don't know who they are

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    the weak and/or the oppressed