Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk Bass Pyros?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Mar 30, 2003.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Are there any hardcore pyromanics or pyrotechnics in the TB community? I have been making pyrotechnic devices for little over two years, first just playing around with fireworks, then playing around with whistling pete bombs, and then making firecrackers and the like. Now i find myself buying chemicals and making my own roman candles, fountains, aerials, and mortars, and putting on small firework shows to my friends.

I was jsut wondering if there are any other people that enjoy the same rewarding hobby that i do

slicks

2. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I rub squirells together..

that makes some small brush fires

3. um...i like fire. it's pretty fun. i've had some unfortunate accidents with it though.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    [​IMG]

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Matt wins

end of thread

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope that Matthew remembered to wear his asbestos BVDs.

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Good thing that Matt wasn't playing his Yamaha or Bass Collections bass at the time, otherwise the bass might have gone up in flames too.

8. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I used to, but quit when I started bass.

Myself and a group of friends are currently designing a few effects using fireworks to replicte gunshots for a 15 minute zombie film we plan to film a week tomorow. I'm the director :D

9. I'm currently working on blowing up an old monitor in the best (most spectacular) way I can.

Safety is always on my mind when I'm playing with them, I always have a fire extinguisher and a fire blanket handy.

10. Well Matt is living up to his User name again hehehee

:D:D

Merls

11. one time i singed my eyebrows clean off along with the entire tuba section of my college marching band with a butane camp stove. we looked like a bunch of weirdos for weeks while our eybrows regrew.:meh:

edit: we didn't do this on purpose, we just didn't know how to prime it up first and a gas cloud built up around us and then one guy had to bust out a match and it went kaboom.

12. No, but I'd like to know how. Any links?

13. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

Not into fireworks but .....

I do breath fire at shows, check out the splash page of this site www.nakedjunglemusic.com for a pic of me breathing fire.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    agreed

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I do not do the pyro thing but i went with some people from church to see creed and i can say they over due it with the explosions and stuff. I was able to predict every time they were going to use the pyrotecnics, since they did the same thing when i saw them on vh1. Metallica is tastefull with their display. Be safe :)

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep.

[​IMG]

17. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hmm... sounds like fun. What I would do would mb mix up a quick little batch of some flash powder and put it in the center of the monitorin a film canister. then, i would run an electric match into the powder (the ones for model rockets work well) and then run that into some sort of keybored so when you hit the delete key it would be triggered. Then, i would drill a hole in the back of the monitor, and set up some fountians and mb some small aerials that are controlled the same way as the rigged monitor. (different keys, though)

here comes showtime.... you and your friends get a video camera going and set off all of the little fireworks (fountains, aerials) making and then when they have been spent, delete the sucker....:D

slicks

18. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, there are lots of good sites out there, and i havent found all fo them yet, but some that I enjoy are....

http://www.iowapyrosupply.com/ - a good chemical retailer

http://www.unitednuclear.com/ - a GREAT site for everything. explains things in very good detail with lots of pictures and good saftey explanations.

http://www.cannonfuse.com/ - sells fuse, very useful

http://people.howstuffworks.com/fireworks1.htm - just a cool site describing aerial fireworks

http://www.weirdpier.com - note, this link is to the anarchist cookbook. do NOT do anything in that book. a lot of the pyrotechic things are not very safe or solidly described. I added it because i have always thought that it was an interesting read.

and remember, when playing with fireworks, or whatever, always be extremly safe, make sure you know all o fhte chracteristics of what you are dealibng with, for example.... flash powder is extremly fast burning. if lit, you have zero time to move your had or turn your head. it is set off by friction very easily, and by static electricity as well. You MUST know all about this sort of stuff, or else you WILL pay the price, an arm, a house, or your life.

-slicks

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    a thank you, a thank you.

20. Oh my..... :eek:

Thank you slicks! :cool: