Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Talk Bass Reviews

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bizzaro, Mar 28, 2002.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    You know I was thinking about the power of our forum. I thought how grand it would be to have a formal product test review organized and established here. I sort of gave up on the idea because of the work and coordination involved for Paul or whomever got elected to run it. I wonder what kind of reponse we would get from manufacturers? Maybe even some financial support for the site. While I appreciate the individual reviews, to provide integrity, comparitive judgement, and interest from manufacturers, a panel of expertise in different areas would have to be established. Anyone interested in this? Whadda Ya Think:confused: :cool:

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'll volunteer to do all of the gear testing! I have to keep everything that I test though. :D Seriously, I think it's a nice idea. It would add credibility to a forum that's already extremely credible, IMO. It could be difficult to get off the ground.

3. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't Talkbass already have reviews ?

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    OOPS! Would one of the kind mods please post this in the approprate forum. I copied and pasted it from a thread in basses and forgot to move it.
    Thanks,
    Bizz

ebozz,
    And yes it would be alot of work to organize it and make it a legitimate process. As compared to individual, arbatrary opinions.

5. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Yes you are missing something but maybe I can clear it up. What bizzaro is suggesting is that we have a group of credible people get together and test out new or possibly used(?) equipment and then have each person rate them. Rather than just having a review from one person that we may not even consider credible. I think this idea is great, but I'd be really hard to get started and to get all the gear to try out. And personally I find that the review section here is lacking considering all the gear that is amounted by all the people in here.:rolleyes:

6. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Of course, hypocritical me still hasn't put any review on there either. But of course I find that sticking around and asking questions in here would actually be a better "review" than just looking at what one a maybe two people might have to say about an instrument.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The problem I have with panel reviews is that the gear is provided free of charge and the provider may advertise wherever the particular review source is. And that's why nearly every piece of gear in those fluffy Bass Player reviews gets a "4-4.5" in all categories - nothing sucks, nothing is superb......everything is "very good."

Talkbass has been helped by having a nice, big, SWR ad for some time now. Would a TB reviewer feel some pressure to overlook shortcoming they found in an SWR amp???

One hand washes the other.

If you can discern who seems to really know what they're talking about in individual reviews, knowing that the reviewer laid out their own hard-earned cash is assuring to me.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It would be well worth the work that it would require if it's something that could be accomplished. It's just going to take a lot of cooperation and team work with whoever is envloved with taking on the task.

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Rick,
    That is one of the reasons a it could work here. I agree with you about the reviews in bass Bass Player etc. They are in the buisness of selling ads. Because of who and what we are, (a group of individuals seeking and sharing information), I think we could have the "MOST" credible test/reviews in the industry. Even with SWR ads here, this forum is as independent as it gets.

10. pedalpointer

pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, the first thing to do would be to come up with a definitive set of criteria for things like construction, with points scored or detracted from the instrument based on how well it was put together or if it has flaws. Then you could have a subjective section, where things like sound, playability, etc are scored separately based on the the players experience with the instrument when compared to what he prefers or would prefer. Then a comment section for the players personal praises/niggles.

I would suggest a 10 point system, though, as opposed to a 5 point system, with a checklist to be completed so that no matter which company made it or what the tester's biases for or against that company or type of instrument, the judgement is fair. I've always felt the 5 point system to be flawed simply because so many instrument reviewed with it get such high marks, and also because all the categories seem to place the score-giving in the testers' hands. For instance, just because it may have high quality woods doesn't mean it's put together all that well, as those are two separate categories. Also, just because it's put together well doesn't mean it isn't plywood. Then there's the other categories to consider, like sound and playability, to consider.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    More of a Misc. topic I think.

Here ya go, BW.

12. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks for the move Ryan. Great ideas Peddle, but the real kicker would be the logistics of several testers in different locations. This is the biggest drawback that comes to mind for me.

13. One of the requirements for testers would be that they must have had a vast experience using all manner of gear in gigging situations. On Harmony Central you can find any number of reviews that give a piece of equipment a 9 or 10 rating, but you know only too well that it's the reviewer's 1st or 2nd bass, or whatever, and so they have no point of reference. To them it is wonderful, to a gigging pro it might be less than wonderful.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I agree, biz. The resources are here to make it the most knowledgeable and believable on the web, (or very nearly).

BGRA has some very good reviews. Still, they have a lot written by junior about the Precision/Crate rig they got for Christmas. And some are so dated, they need to be archived somewhere because of changes made by the manufacturer to the reviewed gear.

Talkbass could be the "Consumer Reports" of bassdom, in spite of the inherent flaws caused by the site;s limitations, (e.g., varying test gear used with the reviewed item, varying reviewers, et al). But it could certainly be gig tested, and that's where the rubber meets the road for gear.

In contrast to Bass Player, perhaps we could outlaw the use of the phrase "dub booty" in all bass reviews.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I agree. Those guys that do reviews in the mags dont have to pay for anything they review. Hence they will never get burned. I trust someone who actually spent their own cash on it and has had time to really get to know the instrament. I think theyll make a more informed and unbiased opionion on it for some reason.